Nov 3, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames are starting rookie goalie Reto Berra on Sunday night. While that makes for a normally sweet headline for a young kid, he may be up to his ears in shots.
His opponent? The defending Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks.
The Flames recalled Berra on Saturday after putting goalie Joey MacDonald on waivers and are putting him right to the test. Coincidentally, Berra was a teammate of Patrick Kane‘s during the lockout last season in the Swiss League with EHC Biel.
Flames coach Bob Hartley says this start won’t be a one-off for Berra.
The Flames have to be hoping Kane spilled all of his tricks and secrets to Berra while they played in Switzerland. On paper, this doesn’t set up to be one of the most fair match-ups we’ve seen this year. Good luck, kid.
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 3
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 11
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9