Nov 3, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames are starting rookie goalie Reto Berra on Sunday night. While that makes for a normally sweet headline for a young kid, he may be up to his ears in shots.
His opponent? The defending Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks.
The Flames recalled Berra on Saturday after putting goalie Joey MacDonald on waivers and are putting him right to the test. Coincidentally, Berra was a teammate of Patrick Kane‘s during the lockout last season in the Swiss League with EHC Biel.
Flames coach Bob Hartley says this start won’t be a one-off for Berra.
The Flames have to be hoping Kane spilled all of his tricks and secrets to Berra while they played in Switzerland. On paper, this doesn’t set up to be one of the most fair match-ups we’ve seen this year. Good luck, kid.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 7
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 29
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)