Nov 3, 2013, 10:22 PM EST
Earlier on Sunday, Calgary Flames head coach Bob Hartley implied that Sunday would be just the beginning of Reto Berra’s opportunities. The little-known 26-year-old made sure of that tonight.
You cannot ask for a much tougher debut assignment than facing the Blackhawks in Chicago, yet the Swiss-born goalie was up to the task, making 42 out of 44 saves to help Calgary gain a 3-2 OT victory.
Tonight’s game began a Central Division road trip that goes from Chicago to Minnesota (Tuesday), St. Louis (Thursday) and Colorado on Friday. It wouldn’t be surprising, at all, to see Berra receive one – if not two – of those starts.
He remains something of a mystery to much of the hockey world, but he might just make a name for himself at this rate.
As you can see, his hard work didn’t go unnoticed by the Flames:
— Calgary Flames (@NHLFlames) November 4, 2013
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 20
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 14
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)