Nov 3, 2013, 10:22 PM EDT
Earlier on Sunday, Calgary Flames head coach Bob Hartley implied that Sunday would be just the beginning of Reto Berra’s opportunities. The little-known 26-year-old made sure of that tonight.
You cannot ask for a much tougher debut assignment than facing the Blackhawks in Chicago, yet the Swiss-born goalie was up to the task, making 42 out of 44 saves to help Calgary gain a 3-2 OT victory.
Tonight’s game began a Central Division road trip that goes from Chicago to Minnesota (Tuesday), St. Louis (Thursday) and Colorado on Friday. It wouldn’t be surprising, at all, to see Berra receive one – if not two – of those starts.
He remains something of a mystery to much of the hockey world, but he might just make a name for himself at this rate.
As you can see, his hard work didn’t go unnoticed by the Flames:
— Calgary Flames (@NHLFlames) November 4, 2013
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (86)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)