Nov 3, 2013, 10:09 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils announced that defenseman Jon Merrill suffered leg lacerations during an awkward tumble to the boards on Sunday and won’t return to tonight’s game against the Minnesota Wild. Torrey Mitchell received a tripping penalty on the play.
Here’s video of the fall:
Tonight was the first NHL game for the 21-year-old blueliner. Add that to the Devils’ snowballing set of injuries and this already unfortunate situation gets that much worse.
PHT will keep an eye out for more updates.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)