Nov 3, 2013, 10:09 PM EST
The New Jersey Devils announced that defenseman Jon Merrill suffered leg lacerations during an awkward tumble to the boards on Sunday and won’t return to tonight’s game against the Minnesota Wild. Torrey Mitchell received a tripping penalty on the play.
Here’s video of the fall:
Tonight was the first NHL game for the 21-year-old blueliner. Add that to the Devils’ snowballing set of injuries and this already unfortunate situation gets that much worse.
PHT will keep an eye out for more updates.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)