Nov 3, 2013, 10:09 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils announced that defenseman Jon Merrill suffered leg lacerations during an awkward tumble to the boards on Sunday and won’t return to tonight’s game against the Minnesota Wild. Torrey Mitchell received a tripping penalty on the play.
Here’s video of the fall:
Tonight was the first NHL game for the 21-year-old blueliner. Add that to the Devils’ snowballing set of injuries and this already unfortunate situation gets that much worse.
PHT will keep an eye out for more updates.
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 0
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 5
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 14
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 34
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 12
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 5
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 37
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)