Nov 3, 2013, 8:55 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils already came into Sunday banged up, and now it looks like Jon Merrill might have gotten hurt in his first NHL game.
The 21-year-old blueliner took a spill/was tripped into the boards by Torrey Mitchell early in the first period of the Minnesota Wild’s game tonight. Video will be added when/if available, but until then, The Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti described the fall:
- Merrill was helped off the ice after falling feet-first, yet Gulitti believes it isn’t a leg injury.
- He looked dazed while being helped off and has a cut above his eye.
The Minneapolis Star-Tribune’s Michael Russo sees some similarities between Merrill’s spill and Kurtis Foster’s dangerous crash from years ago, only this wasn’t an icing.
Update: Here’s video of the fall:
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 5
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 48
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)