Nov 3, 2013, 8:55 PM EST
The New Jersey Devils already came into Sunday banged up, and now it looks like Jon Merrill might have gotten hurt in his first NHL game.
The 21-year-old blueliner took a spill/was tripped into the boards by Torrey Mitchell early in the first period of the Minnesota Wild’s game tonight. Video will be added when/if available, but until then, The Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti described the fall:
- Merrill was helped off the ice after falling feet-first, yet Gulitti believes it isn’t a leg injury.
- He looked dazed while being helped off and has a cut above his eye.
The Minneapolis Star-Tribune’s Michael Russo sees some similarities between Merrill’s spill and Kurtis Foster’s dangerous crash from years ago, only this wasn’t an icing.
Update: Here’s video of the fall:
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 5
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 3
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 46
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 72
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 18
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (72)