Nov 3, 2013, 8:55 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils already came into Sunday banged up, and now it looks like Jon Merrill might have gotten hurt in his first NHL game.
The 21-year-old blueliner took a spill/was tripped into the boards by Torrey Mitchell early in the first period of the Minnesota Wild’s game tonight. Video will be added when/if available, but until then, The Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti described the fall:
- Merrill was helped off the ice after falling feet-first, yet Gulitti believes it isn’t a leg injury.
- He looked dazed while being helped off and has a cut above his eye.
The Minneapolis Star-Tribune’s Michael Russo sees some similarities between Merrill’s spill and Kurtis Foster’s dangerous crash from years ago, only this wasn’t an icing.
Update: Here’s video of the fall:
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 4
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 28
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 19
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)