Nov 3, 2013, 8:55 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils already came into Sunday banged up, and now it looks like Jon Merrill might have gotten hurt in his first NHL game.
The 21-year-old blueliner took a spill/was tripped into the boards by Torrey Mitchell early in the first period of the Minnesota Wild’s game tonight. Video will be added when/if available, but until then, The Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti described the fall:
- Merrill was helped off the ice after falling feet-first, yet Gulitti believes it isn’t a leg injury.
- He looked dazed while being helped off and has a cut above his eye.
The Minneapolis Star-Tribune’s Michael Russo sees some similarities between Merrill’s spill and Kurtis Foster’s dangerous crash from years ago, only this wasn’t an icing.
Update: Here’s video of the fall:
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 3
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 5
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 10
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 35
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)