Nov 3, 2013, 3:42 PM EDT
While Philadelphia’s Ray Emery wasn’t suspended for his role in the one-sided fight with Washington’s Braden Holtby, NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman wasn’t happy with how things happened in Philadelphia on Friday.
Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch spoke with the commissioner and got his thoughts on what went down concerning Emery.
“We constantly monitor and look at the game,” Bettman said. “There was no rule that was violated to elevate things to the level of a suspension. It’s something we’ll continue to discuss.
“I don’t think anybody liked it, liked what it looked like. Fortunately it’s not something that happens very often. But I’m sure it’s something we’ll focus on, particularly with the general managers.”
Bettman voiced his support for Brendan Shanahan and the NHL Department of Player Safety and the job they’ve done. He reiterated the rarity in which things like this occur as well as the relative smaller percentage of hits that require their attention.
That said, it’s not good for Emery or the Flyers if the biggest boss is taking notice.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 4
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 35
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)