Nov 3, 2013, 3:42 PM EDT
While Philadelphia’s Ray Emery wasn’t suspended for his role in the one-sided fight with Washington’s Braden Holtby, NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman wasn’t happy with how things happened in Philadelphia on Friday.
Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch spoke with the commissioner and got his thoughts on what went down concerning Emery.
“We constantly monitor and look at the game,” Bettman said. “There was no rule that was violated to elevate things to the level of a suspension. It’s something we’ll continue to discuss.
“I don’t think anybody liked it, liked what it looked like. Fortunately it’s not something that happens very often. But I’m sure it’s something we’ll focus on, particularly with the general managers.”
Bettman voiced his support for Brendan Shanahan and the NHL Department of Player Safety and the job they’ve done. He reiterated the rarity in which things like this occur as well as the relative smaller percentage of hits that require their attention.
That said, it’s not good for Emery or the Flyers if the biggest boss is taking notice.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)