Nov 2, 2013, 11:01 AM EDT
Tampa Bay Lightning defenseman Victor Hedman doesn’t score too often, but maybe that’s because he’s been aiming for the net all this time.
During Friday night’s contest against the Carolina Hurricanes, Hedman decided to fire the puck at the end boards, which caused it to bounce towards the Hurricanes net, hit goaltender Justin Peters and then slide in the net as Peters was trying to control it.
It was the opening goal of what would be a 3-0 victory for the Tampa Bay Lightning.
You can see that bizarre sequence below:
“I banked a shot off the back boards and hoped someone would pick it up, but luckily it just went it,” Hedman said, according to the Lightning’s website. “It is a good option to bank off the boards and create some chaos.”
Tampa Bay is now 9-4-0 going into Saturday’s game against St. Louis.
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 0
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 15
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 21
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 29
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 14
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (55)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)