Nov 2, 2013, 11:01 AM EDT
Tampa Bay Lightning defenseman Victor Hedman doesn’t score too often, but maybe that’s because he’s been aiming for the net all this time.
During Friday night’s contest against the Carolina Hurricanes, Hedman decided to fire the puck at the end boards, which caused it to bounce towards the Hurricanes net, hit goaltender Justin Peters and then slide in the net as Peters was trying to control it.
It was the opening goal of what would be a 3-0 victory for the Tampa Bay Lightning.
You can see that bizarre sequence below:
“I banked a shot off the back boards and hoped someone would pick it up, but luckily it just went it,” Hedman said, according to the Lightning’s website. “It is a good option to bank off the boards and create some chaos.”
Tampa Bay is now 9-4-0 going into Saturday’s game against St. Louis.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)