Nov 2, 2013, 11:01 AM EDT
Tampa Bay Lightning defenseman Victor Hedman doesn’t score too often, but maybe that’s because he’s been aiming for the net all this time.
During Friday night’s contest against the Carolina Hurricanes, Hedman decided to fire the puck at the end boards, which caused it to bounce towards the Hurricanes net, hit goaltender Justin Peters and then slide in the net as Peters was trying to control it.
It was the opening goal of what would be a 3-0 victory for the Tampa Bay Lightning.
You can see that bizarre sequence below:
“I banked a shot off the back boards and hoped someone would pick it up, but luckily it just went it,” Hedman said, according to the Lightning’s website. “It is a good option to bank off the boards and create some chaos.”
Tampa Bay is now 9-4-0 going into Saturday’s game against St. Louis.
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 8
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 6
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 27
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 44
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 20