Nov 2, 2013, 11:01 AM EDT
Tampa Bay Lightning defenseman Victor Hedman doesn’t score too often, but maybe that’s because he’s been aiming for the net all this time.
During Friday night’s contest against the Carolina Hurricanes, Hedman decided to fire the puck at the end boards, which caused it to bounce towards the Hurricanes net, hit goaltender Justin Peters and then slide in the net as Peters was trying to control it.
It was the opening goal of what would be a 3-0 victory for the Tampa Bay Lightning.
You can see that bizarre sequence below:
“I banked a shot off the back boards and hoped someone would pick it up, but luckily it just went it,” Hedman said, according to the Lightning’s website. “It is a good option to bank off the boards and create some chaos.”
Tampa Bay is now 9-4-0 going into Saturday’s game against St. Louis.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 11
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 33
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25