Nov 2, 2013, 8:14 PM EST
Florida Panthers head coach Kevin Dineen might have been sending a message by making Kris Versteeg a healthy scratch on Saturday, but Versteeg’s response seems to be … don’t.
Versteeg, 27, shared his displeasure regarding that personnel move with the Miami Herald’s George Richards.
#FlaPanthers Kris Versteeg not happy with being scratched. Says it’s first time in his career “and I’ve played on some pretty good teams”
— George Richards (@GeorgeRichards) November 2, 2013
(So … so is saying this year’s Panthers aren’t very good?)
The winger did say that he hopes the team will “rally around that,” so maybe he isn’t being too selfish.
He’s coming off of a knee injury that may be slowing him a little in 2013-14; Versteeg has five points and a -7 rating in 13 games.
Dineen seemed like he was itching to scratch someone recently. Brad Boyes seemed like he was primed to be a healthy scratch on Oct.27, but a last-minute scratch opened up the opportunity for Boyes to score a goal.
Maybe this move will light a fire in Versteeg and his teammates (instead of just annoying them), then? We’ll see.
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 2
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 20
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 29
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 6
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)