Nov 2, 2013, 8:14 PM EDT
Florida Panthers head coach Kevin Dineen might have been sending a message by making Kris Versteeg a healthy scratch on Saturday, but Versteeg’s response seems to be … don’t.
Versteeg, 27, shared his displeasure regarding that personnel move with the Miami Herald’s George Richards.
#FlaPanthers Kris Versteeg not happy with being scratched. Says it’s first time in his career “and I’ve played on some pretty good teams”
— George Richards (@GeorgeRichards) November 2, 2013
(So … so is saying this year’s Panthers aren’t very good?)
The winger did say that he hopes the team will “rally around that,” so maybe he isn’t being too selfish.
He’s coming off of a knee injury that may be slowing him a little in 2013-14; Versteeg has five points and a -7 rating in 13 games.
Dineen seemed like he was itching to scratch someone recently. Brad Boyes seemed like he was primed to be a healthy scratch on Oct.27, but a last-minute scratch opened up the opportunity for Boyes to score a goal.
Maybe this move will light a fire in Versteeg and his teammates (instead of just annoying them), then? We’ll see.
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 3
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 10
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 35
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)