Nov 2, 2013, 8:14 PM EDT
Florida Panthers head coach Kevin Dineen might have been sending a message by making Kris Versteeg a healthy scratch on Saturday, but Versteeg’s response seems to be … don’t.
Versteeg, 27, shared his displeasure regarding that personnel move with the Miami Herald’s George Richards.
#FlaPanthers Kris Versteeg not happy with being scratched. Says it’s first time in his career “and I’ve played on some pretty good teams”
— George Richards (@GeorgeRichards) November 2, 2013
(So … so is saying this year’s Panthers aren’t very good?)
The winger did say that he hopes the team will “rally around that,” so maybe he isn’t being too selfish.
He’s coming off of a knee injury that may be slowing him a little in 2013-14; Versteeg has five points and a -7 rating in 13 games.
Dineen seemed like he was itching to scratch someone recently. Brad Boyes seemed like he was primed to be a healthy scratch on Oct.27, but a last-minute scratch opened up the opportunity for Boyes to score a goal.
Maybe this move will light a fire in Versteeg and his teammates (instead of just annoying them), then? We’ll see.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 4
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 22
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)