Nov 2, 2013, 8:14 PM EDT
Florida Panthers head coach Kevin Dineen might have been sending a message by making Kris Versteeg a healthy scratch on Saturday, but Versteeg’s response seems to be … don’t.
Versteeg, 27, shared his displeasure regarding that personnel move with the Miami Herald’s George Richards.
#FlaPanthers Kris Versteeg not happy with being scratched. Says it’s first time in his career “and I’ve played on some pretty good teams”
— George Richards (@GeorgeRichards) November 2, 2013
(So … so is saying this year’s Panthers aren’t very good?)
The winger did say that he hopes the team will “rally around that,” so maybe he isn’t being too selfish.
He’s coming off of a knee injury that may be slowing him a little in 2013-14; Versteeg has five points and a -7 rating in 13 games.
Dineen seemed like he was itching to scratch someone recently. Brad Boyes seemed like he was primed to be a healthy scratch on Oct.27, but a last-minute scratch opened up the opportunity for Boyes to score a goal.
Maybe this move will light a fire in Versteeg and his teammates (instead of just annoying them), then? We’ll see.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 14
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 12
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 28
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)