Nov 2, 2013, 11:22 PM EDT
“There’s no way I’m not going to play my first game for a couple of weeks,” Hall said Saturday. “Hopefully I keep progressing. I’ll probably have to wear the brace for the rest of the year but I don’t even feel it.”
It’s great that Hall is so eager to return, but the Oilers would be wise to play it safe. That’s especially true if it seems as if this is a lost season, as risking a key component could have long-term consequences; the star winger probably wants to try to “save” the team, yet knee injuries can be tricky.
The temptation is obvious, though. Hall, 21, may very well be the best of Edmonton’s slew of high-end young players. He has almost a point-per-game in 2013-14 (eight in nine) and accomplished that feat last season (50 points in 45 contests).
The key, then, is to walk the right line between getting him in plenty of games this season and making sure he’ll participate in a whole lot more in the future.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 3
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)