Nov 2, 2013, 11:22 PM EDT
“There’s no way I’m not going to play my first game for a couple of weeks,” Hall said Saturday. “Hopefully I keep progressing. I’ll probably have to wear the brace for the rest of the year but I don’t even feel it.”
It’s great that Hall is so eager to return, but the Oilers would be wise to play it safe. That’s especially true if it seems as if this is a lost season, as risking a key component could have long-term consequences; the star winger probably wants to try to “save” the team, yet knee injuries can be tricky.
The temptation is obvious, though. Hall, 21, may very well be the best of Edmonton’s slew of high-end young players. He has almost a point-per-game in 2013-14 (eight in nine) and accomplished that feat last season (50 points in 45 contests).
The key, then, is to walk the right line between getting him in plenty of games this season and making sure he’ll participate in a whole lot more in the future.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 4
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 5
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 9
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 8
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 17
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (51)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)