Nov 1, 2013, 4:46 PM EDT
The fifth team, it seems, is running out of patience.
On Friday, Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault expressed dismay at Pouliot’s inconsistency, re-accentuating a theme from Pouliot’s time in Minnesota, Montreal, Boston and Tampa Bay.
“I’ve had this conversation with Ben, I’ve had this conversation with a few players in my career. You only get so many kicks at the can here, you only get so many teams,” Vigneault told The Bergen Record. “Obviously a guy like Ben, a high pick, a high skill level, you see it now and then and you go, ‘Wow, why does the inconsistency or whatever is, not there on a more regular basis?”
Pouliot, 27, has shown flashes during his seven-year career. He scored 24 points in 39 games with Montreal during the 2009-10 campaign, and potted a career-high 16 goals with Boston in 2011-12.
Doing it consistently over an extended period of time has proven difficult, though. Pouliot’s situation hasn’t been helped by his nomadic existence, either — the Rangers are his fourth team in as many years.
Vigneault isn’t sure what Pouliot’s problem is, but is sure of one thing — Pouliot needs to find a solution.
“That’s a question we’re trying to figure out with him,” Vigneault explained. “Obviously he’s aware of it.
“He needs to figure it out. Sooner or later, you only get so many kicks at the can.”
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 1
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 22
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 8
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 4
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 48
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)