Nov 1, 2013, 4:46 PM EDT
The fifth team, it seems, is running out of patience.
On Friday, Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault expressed dismay at Pouliot’s inconsistency, re-accentuating a theme from Pouliot’s time in Minnesota, Montreal, Boston and Tampa Bay.
“I’ve had this conversation with Ben, I’ve had this conversation with a few players in my career. You only get so many kicks at the can here, you only get so many teams,” Vigneault told The Bergen Record. “Obviously a guy like Ben, a high pick, a high skill level, you see it now and then and you go, ‘Wow, why does the inconsistency or whatever is, not there on a more regular basis?”
Pouliot, 27, has shown flashes during his seven-year career. He scored 24 points in 39 games with Montreal during the 2009-10 campaign, and potted a career-high 16 goals with Boston in 2011-12.
Doing it consistently over an extended period of time has proven difficult, though. Pouliot’s situation hasn’t been helped by his nomadic existence, either — the Rangers are his fourth team in as many years.
Vigneault isn’t sure what Pouliot’s problem is, but is sure of one thing — Pouliot needs to find a solution.
“That’s a question we’re trying to figure out with him,” Vigneault explained. “Obviously he’s aware of it.
“He needs to figure it out. Sooner or later, you only get so many kicks at the can.”
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 14
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 90
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (90)