Nov 1, 2013, 3:34 PM EST
In case you haven’t noticed, and judging by the attendance you haven’t, the
Indians Coyotes have managed to win a few here and there, and are threatening to climb out of the cellar boast a record of 9-3-2 after 15 games.
According to a club press release, that record marks the second-best start in franchise history, bettered only by a 9-1-4-0 effort in 2000-01.
Even better: unlike previous editions of the Coyotes, this one is scoring lots of goals, thanks in large part to its corps of offensive defensemen.
Oliver Ekman-Larsson and Keith Yandle are tied for first in scoring among NHL defensemen with 3-8-11 and 1-10-11, respectively. Derek Morris has posted 4-5-9, which ranks tied for third. His four (4) goals are also tied for the NHL lead in goals by a defenseman. Coyotes defensemen have combined for a league-leading 12 goals and 40 points this season.
After 14 games, the Coyotes have scored 48 goals which ranks tied for second in the NHL (Toronto – 48) and only 3 behind League leader San Jose (51).
So get out there and buy a ticket, people of Phoenix and surrounding areas. Your next chance to see the Coyotes at Jobing.com Arena is Tuesday when the Vancouver Canucks pay a visit.
Announced attendance was just 7,401 for last night’s 5-4 shootout win over Nashville.
Related: Coyotes fans are under pressure
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)