Nov 1, 2013, 3:34 PM EDT
In case you haven’t noticed, and judging by the attendance you haven’t, the
Indians Coyotes have managed to win a few here and there, and are threatening to climb out of the cellar boast a record of 9-3-2 after 15 games.
According to a club press release, that record marks the second-best start in franchise history, bettered only by a 9-1-4-0 effort in 2000-01.
Even better: unlike previous editions of the Coyotes, this one is scoring lots of goals, thanks in large part to its corps of offensive defensemen.
Oliver Ekman-Larsson and Keith Yandle are tied for first in scoring among NHL defensemen with 3-8-11 and 1-10-11, respectively. Derek Morris has posted 4-5-9, which ranks tied for third. His four (4) goals are also tied for the NHL lead in goals by a defenseman. Coyotes defensemen have combined for a league-leading 12 goals and 40 points this season.
After 14 games, the Coyotes have scored 48 goals which ranks tied for second in the NHL (Toronto – 48) and only 3 behind League leader San Jose (51).
So get out there and buy a ticket, people of Phoenix and surrounding areas. Your next chance to see the Coyotes at Jobing.com Arena is Tuesday when the Vancouver Canucks pay a visit.
Announced attendance was just 7,401 for last night’s 5-4 shootout win over Nashville.
Related: Coyotes fans are under pressure
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)