Nov 1, 2013, 6:29 PM EDT
Daniel and Henrik Sedin are both skilled forwards that have been performing at an elite level for the better part of a decade. They’ve also been referred to as soft, and that’s a label Canucks coach John Tortorella passionately disagrees with.
“I’m not sure who started it but I’m sure there are a couple of know-it-alls out there who always talk about it,” Tortorella said, according to the Vancouver Province. “But they don’t have a clue what these guys are about.”
He added, “It pisses me off, the reputation that’s still out there. It’s so undeserving and so disrespectful.”
Tortorella pointed to the twins’ puck protection skills and work along the boards as evidence of their toughness. He also feels that people look at their level of skill and just assume they don’t have a game beyond that.
The Sedin twins have become the cornerstones of the Canucks’ franchise and will remain in that role after agreeing to matching four-year, $28 million extensions today.
They are 33 years old, so the Canucks are gambling on the idea that they won’t regress significantly over that span, but if you’re going to make that kind of bet, these are the guys you want to do it with. They have stayed relatively healthy throughout their careers and haven’t slowed down significantly yet.
Not to mention that they have clearly earned Tortorella’s respect.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 12
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 25
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)