Nov 1, 2013, 1:06 PM EDT
One day after he was released from jail, Semyon Varlamov will be in goal for the Colorado Avalanche.
“I just feel it’s the right decision,” Colorado coach Patrick Roy said, as per NHL.com. “Why wait? [Varlamov] looks good this morning. We’re all aware what happened and we just feel that he’s our guy.
“We have a lot of confidence in him as a goalie. We feel that it’s good for him to play [Friday].”
Varlamov, 25, was arrested on Wednesday on allegations of domestic violence and spent the evening in jail after turning himself in to police.
Varlamov’s bond was set at $5,000 and met on Thursday afternoon, at which time he was released from custody. In Thursday’s court ruling, Varlamov was given permission to travel with the Avalanche but also had a restraining order filed.
The Russian netminder had been scheduled to start in Dallas prior to his arrest. In last game, a 3-2 Colorado win over Winnipeg on Sunday, Varlamov stopped 23 of 25 shots, pushing his record on the season to 7-1-1.
The decision to start Varlamov under these new circumstances, though, will likely come under scrutiny. On Friday, Denver Post columnist Mark Kiszla wrote that Colorado should keep Varlamov off the ice/away from the team until his legal matters are sorted out.
As per ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun, here’s is NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly’s statement on the Varlamov matter:
“At this point, we are monitoring the developing legal situation and do not intent to intervene in that process. There may come a point in time where we feel it is either necessary or appropriate to take a different approach, but that’s not where we are right now.
“We are and will remain in close contact with the Club, and will see how the underlying facts unfold.”
Mar 26, 2015, 9:48 PM EDT
The real winners might be the Edmonton Oilers.
Mar 26, 2015, 9:12 PM EDT
Some of these burger puns won’t be well-done.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:58 PM EDT
Update your save of the year highlight packages.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:48 PM EDT
He seems OK after that tough, 2-on-1 check.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:41 PM EDT
Three goals allowed in 20 minutes by Detroit’s embattled starter.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:23 PM EDT
The Rangers forward felt encouraged by this latest step.
Mar 26, 2015, 7:03 PM EDT
He’s lining up with Brad Marchand and Patrice Bergeron to start.
Mar 26, 2015, 6:37 PM EDT
A Vladimir Tarasenko hit shook him up on Tuesday.
Mar 26, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT
Vermont power forward was the club’s third-round pick in 2011.
Mar 26, 2015, 4:56 PM EDT
Featuring Erik Karlsson, Marc Methot and a guest appearance from Curtis Lazar.
Mar 26, 2015, 4:37 PM EDT
The 43-year-old has been a big influence on his young linemates.
Mar 26, 2015, 4:09 PM EDT
Granted, they have to make them first.
Mar 26, 2015, 3:44 PM EDT
Bruce Boudreau continues to “experiment” on defense.
Mar 26, 2015, 3:20 PM EDT
“Hopefully we realize that, come together and allow this group to stay together.”
Mar 26, 2015, 2:44 PM EDT
An interesting comment from his agent.
Mar 26, 2015, 2:14 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 26, 2015, 1:57 PM EDT
“We are all thinking the same way and going the same direction.”
Mar 26, 2015, 1:29 PM EDT
Mar 26, 2015, 1:16 PM EDT
Colgate standout inks deal, will report to team.
Mar 26, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Well, that clears it up.
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 2
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 17
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 25
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)