Nov 1, 2013, 12:56 PM EDT
The value of plus/minus as a hockey statistic may be highly dubious, but when the reigning Conn Smythe Trophy winner, playing for the defending Stanley Cup champions, has a minus-9 rating in just 13 games, people are going to notice.
We are, of course, referring to Blackhawks winger Patrick Kane, who was asked about his rating yesterday after practice.
“Sometimes you catch some tough breaks,” Kane said, per the Chicago Tribune. “Other times, there are plays that I can probably make to try and help keep the puck out of our net. It’s a number that obviously doesn’t look good. It’s not something that’s going to change overnight. It will be a long road back to try and get into the plus column, but I’m confident I can do it.”
Of course, those four play for losing teams with negative goal differentials overall. Kane does not. In fact, the next lowest rating on the ‘Hawks is minus-2, belonging to both Michal Rozsival and Duncan Keith.
“I put myself in that situation so I’ll try and get out of it,” Kane said.
The ‘Hawks are in Winnipeg to play the Jets tomorrow.
Oh, and for any of you “advanced stats” aficionados, yes, Kane’s PDO (a.k.a luck) is very low, at 91.9.
- Video: Johnny Hockey puts on a show in Flames win 0
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)