Nov 1, 2013, 12:56 PM EDT
The value of plus/minus as a hockey statistic may be highly dubious, but when the reigning Conn Smythe Trophy winner, playing for the defending Stanley Cup champions, has a minus-9 rating in just 13 games, people are going to notice.
We are, of course, referring to Blackhawks winger Patrick Kane, who was asked about his rating yesterday after practice.
“Sometimes you catch some tough breaks,” Kane said, per the Chicago Tribune. “Other times, there are plays that I can probably make to try and help keep the puck out of our net. It’s a number that obviously doesn’t look good. It’s not something that’s going to change overnight. It will be a long road back to try and get into the plus column, but I’m confident I can do it.”
Of course, those four play for losing teams with negative goal differentials overall. Kane does not. In fact, the next lowest rating on the ‘Hawks is minus-2, belonging to both Michal Rozsival and Duncan Keith.
“I put myself in that situation so I’ll try and get out of it,” Kane said.
The ‘Hawks are in Winnipeg to play the Jets tomorrow.
Oh, and for any of you “advanced stats” aficionados, yes, Kane’s PDO (a.k.a luck) is very low, at 91.9.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)