Nov 1, 2013, 12:56 PM EST
The value of plus/minus as a hockey statistic may be highly dubious, but when the reigning Conn Smythe Trophy winner, playing for the defending Stanley Cup champions, has a minus-9 rating in just 13 games, people are going to notice.
We are, of course, referring to Blackhawks winger Patrick Kane, who was asked about his rating yesterday after practice.
“Sometimes you catch some tough breaks,” Kane said, per the Chicago Tribune. “Other times, there are plays that I can probably make to try and help keep the puck out of our net. It’s a number that obviously doesn’t look good. It’s not something that’s going to change overnight. It will be a long road back to try and get into the plus column, but I’m confident I can do it.”
Of course, those four play for losing teams with negative goal differentials overall. Kane does not. In fact, the next lowest rating on the ‘Hawks is minus-2, belonging to both Michal Rozsival and Duncan Keith.
“I put myself in that situation so I’ll try and get out of it,” Kane said.
The ‘Hawks are in Winnipeg to play the Jets tomorrow.
Oh, and for any of you “advanced stats” aficionados, yes, Kane’s PDO (a.k.a luck) is very low, at 91.9.
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 13
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 19
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 1
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Montreal wins Vanek sweepstakes (Updated) 46
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)