Nov 1, 2013, 12:44 PM EST
Seven goals is the biggest losing margin in the NHL this year, and only two teams can lay claim to the dubious distinction — the New York Rangers (a 9-2 loss to San Jose on Oct. 8) and the Florida Panthers, who lost 7-0 in St. Louis on Oct. 5.
Tonight, the Panthers are looking for revenge as they host the Blues in Florida.
“You get beat bad, a team spanks you, you know what? We’re all professionals, we all have pride, we know we took a really good kicking there,” head coach Kevin Dineen told the Florida Sun-Sentinel. “So, that’s how you react.”
The blowout loss saw the Blues score five goals on 28 shots against Tim Thomas, then two on six shots against Jakob Markstrom, who came on in relief for the third period.
It was, as you’d expect, an embarrassing moment for the Panthers.
“It was a man’s game and we didn’t rise to the occasion tonight,” Dineen fumed following the contest. “We got outplayed in every aspect of the game.”
“Obviously, our whole entire game wasn’t there. We just had a lesson in how you’re supposed to play. We should take a page from their playbook,” said Florida defenseman Mike Weaver. “They came out hard, finished checks, won every puck battle. We should be watching their video next game in what they do and learn from it.”
Markstrom will get the start in goal tonight for the Panthers, who are mired in a tough home stretch that’s seen them lose four of five — though they were able to salvage points with shootout losses to Chicago and Tampa Bay.
St. Louis heads into tonight having won two straight. Tonight also marks the first in a mini three-game roadie that sees the Blues go to Florida, Tampa Bay and Montreal.
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 13
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 10
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 5
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 31
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11