Nov 1, 2013, 12:44 PM EDT
Seven goals is the biggest losing margin in the NHL this year, and only two teams can lay claim to the dubious distinction — the New York Rangers (a 9-2 loss to San Jose on Oct. 8) and the Florida Panthers, who lost 7-0 in St. Louis on Oct. 5.
Tonight, the Panthers are looking for revenge as they host the Blues in Florida.
“You get beat bad, a team spanks you, you know what? We’re all professionals, we all have pride, we know we took a really good kicking there,” head coach Kevin Dineen told the Florida Sun-Sentinel. “So, that’s how you react.”
The blowout loss saw the Blues score five goals on 28 shots against Tim Thomas, then two on six shots against Jakob Markstrom, who came on in relief for the third period.
It was, as you’d expect, an embarrassing moment for the Panthers.
“It was a man’s game and we didn’t rise to the occasion tonight,” Dineen fumed following the contest. “We got outplayed in every aspect of the game.”
“Obviously, our whole entire game wasn’t there. We just had a lesson in how you’re supposed to play. We should take a page from their playbook,” said Florida defenseman Mike Weaver. “They came out hard, finished checks, won every puck battle. We should be watching their video next game in what they do and learn from it.”
Markstrom will get the start in goal tonight for the Panthers, who are mired in a tough home stretch that’s seen them lose four of five — though they were able to salvage points with shootout losses to Chicago and Tampa Bay.
St. Louis heads into tonight having won two straight. Tonight also marks the first in a mini three-game roadie that sees the Blues go to Florida, Tampa Bay and Montreal.
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 3
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 35
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 21
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: Backes crashes into Daley, falls to ice hard (Updated) 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)