Nov 1, 2013, 3:38 PM EDT
“Ashton takes a couple of strides and forcefully shoves [Smith] in the numbers, causing Smith to crash violently into the boards,” explained NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan. “Although Smith is turning while receiving the pass, at no point during this play does Ashton see anything other than Smith’s back.
“The onus, therefore, is entirely upon Ashton to either avoid contact or, at the very least, minimize it.”
Shanahan also said Ashton hit Smith from an “extremely dangerous” distance from the boards.
Here’s the video:
As per the NHL CBA, Ashton will forfeit $8,615.38 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance fund. He’ll miss Toronto’s next two contests — Saturday in Vancouver, next Friday at home vs. New Jersey — and will be eligible to return on Saturday, Nov. 9 in Boston.
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 7
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 22
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22