Nov 1, 2013, 3:38 PM EDT
“Ashton takes a couple of strides and forcefully shoves [Smith] in the numbers, causing Smith to crash violently into the boards,” explained NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan. “Although Smith is turning while receiving the pass, at no point during this play does Ashton see anything other than Smith’s back.
“The onus, therefore, is entirely upon Ashton to either avoid contact or, at the very least, minimize it.”
Shanahan also said Ashton hit Smith from an “extremely dangerous” distance from the boards.
Here’s the video:
As per the NHL CBA, Ashton will forfeit $8,615.38 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance fund. He’ll miss Toronto’s next two contests — Saturday in Vancouver, next Friday at home vs. New Jersey — and will be eligible to return on Saturday, Nov. 9 in Boston.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 4
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 5
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 41
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)