Nov 1, 2013, 12:54 PM EST
Ellerby, 24, hasn’t played this season but has taken a number of warm-up skates, the odd-man out in a defensive group that’s only featured seven players — Drew Doughty, Matt Greene, Alec Martinez, Willie Mitchell, Jake Muzzin, Slava Voynov and Robyn Regehr.
Acquired by Los Angeles last year with Mitchell and Greene out to injury, Ellerby appeared in 35 regular season and five playoff games for the Kings.
It’s believed L.A. made this transaction in order to bring up Tyler Toffoli and Linden Vey from AHL Manchester. Toffoli leads the Monarchs with 12 points in 10 games while Vey sits second in scoring, with 11 points.
The Kings have also placed forward Jeff Carter on injured reserve. It’s unclear what his ailment is — in Tuesday’s 4-3 OT win over San Jose, Carter played a season-high 23:02 and was on the ice for Anze Kopitar‘s game-winner in the extra session.
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 4
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 6
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 70
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (71)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)