Nov 1, 2013, 12:54 PM EDT
Ellerby, 24, hasn’t played this season but has taken a number of warm-up skates, the odd-man out in a defensive group that’s only featured seven players — Drew Doughty, Matt Greene, Alec Martinez, Willie Mitchell, Jake Muzzin, Slava Voynov and Robyn Regehr.
Acquired by Los Angeles last year with Mitchell and Greene out to injury, Ellerby appeared in 35 regular season and five playoff games for the Kings.
It’s believed L.A. made this transaction in order to bring up Tyler Toffoli and Linden Vey from AHL Manchester. Toffoli leads the Monarchs with 12 points in 10 games while Vey sits second in scoring, with 11 points.
The Kings have also placed forward Jeff Carter on injured reserve. It’s unclear what his ailment is — in Tuesday’s 4-3 OT win over San Jose, Carter played a season-high 23:02 and was on the ice for Anze Kopitar‘s game-winner in the extra session.
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider 34
- Callahan: I wanted to stay in New York 23
- Playoff bubble watch — Wild edition 12
- Video: Ryan Kesler injured on knee-on-knee collision, on his way back to Vancouver 10
- Discuss: Bruins run over Habs in newest chapter of historic rivalry 24
- Peverley to undergo heart procedure, will miss rest of season 13
- Comeau gets two games for boarding Smith 9
- Three things the Canucks haven’t done well under Torts 22
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 31
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 6
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (72)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (61)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)