Nov 1, 2013, 12:54 PM EDT
Ellerby, 24, hasn’t played this season but has taken a number of warm-up skates, the odd-man out in a defensive group that’s only featured seven players — Drew Doughty, Matt Greene, Alec Martinez, Willie Mitchell, Jake Muzzin, Slava Voynov and Robyn Regehr.
Acquired by Los Angeles last year with Mitchell and Greene out to injury, Ellerby appeared in 35 regular season and five playoff games for the Kings.
It’s believed L.A. made this transaction in order to bring up Tyler Toffoli and Linden Vey from AHL Manchester. Toffoli leads the Monarchs with 12 points in 10 games while Vey sits second in scoring, with 11 points.
The Kings have also placed forward Jeff Carter on injured reserve. It’s unclear what his ailment is — in Tuesday’s 4-3 OT win over San Jose, Carter played a season-high 23:02 and was on the ice for Anze Kopitar‘s game-winner in the extra session.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 23
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 40
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 29
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 26
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 24
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 58
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 49
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6