Nov 1, 2013, 2:06 AM EST
Times are tough for Edmonton Oilers’ fans.
So tough, in fact, that head coach Dallas Eakins’ young daughter is hearing about it from her peers at school.
October has come to an end, and the Oilers, with growing expectations levied upon them this season, have a record of 3-9-2, good enough for last in the Pacific Division.
“I have kids bugging my daughter at school. That’s not very much fun,” Eakins said Thursday, as per the Edmonton Sun.
“I’m walking my daughter to school yesterday and I have one kid yelling at everybody ‘There’s the head coach of the Edmonton Oilers!’ And my five-year-old daughter gets real excited because, ‘That’s my daddy.’
“And then I have another kid yelling, ‘You suck!’”
That’s not very nice. However, kids rarely come with filters. But that’s not the only situation in which Eakins has heard it from an increasingly frustrated fan base. Adults, too.
“I understand the passion. I understand the guy who yells out of his car at me when I’m at the gas station, then speeds away. I understand people, as I walk into a restaurant, murmuring something under their breath. I’m OK with it,” said Eakins, as per the Edmonton Journal.
“When we do turn this thing around … that passion will turn the other way. The guy at the gas station will probably buy me my gas and the people in the restaurant are probably going to buy me dinner. So if I’m OK with that part of it, I’d better be OK with this.”
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 0
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 12
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 14
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14