Nov 1, 2013, 2:06 AM EST
Times are tough for Edmonton Oilers’ fans.
So tough, in fact, that head coach Dallas Eakins’ young daughter is hearing about it from her peers at school.
October has come to an end, and the Oilers, with growing expectations levied upon them this season, have a record of 3-9-2, good enough for last in the Pacific Division.
“I have kids bugging my daughter at school. That’s not very much fun,” Eakins said Thursday, as per the Edmonton Sun.
“I’m walking my daughter to school yesterday and I have one kid yelling at everybody ‘There’s the head coach of the Edmonton Oilers!’ And my five-year-old daughter gets real excited because, ‘That’s my daddy.’
“And then I have another kid yelling, ‘You suck!’”
That’s not very nice. However, kids rarely come with filters. But that’s not the only situation in which Eakins has heard it from an increasingly frustrated fan base. Adults, too.
“I understand the passion. I understand the guy who yells out of his car at me when I’m at the gas station, then speeds away. I understand people, as I walk into a restaurant, murmuring something under their breath. I’m OK with it,” said Eakins, as per the Edmonton Journal.
“When we do turn this thing around … that passion will turn the other way. The guy at the gas station will probably buy me my gas and the people in the restaurant are probably going to buy me dinner. So if I’m OK with that part of it, I’d better be OK with this.”
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 2
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 5
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 29
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 65
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (65)