Nov 1, 2013, 12:20 AM EDT
It’s Justin Peters‘ net, for the time being at least.
The 27-year-old Peters has taken over the starting goaltender duties for the Carolina Hurricanes, with Cam Ward (he’ll miss three-to-four weeks) and Anton Khudobin (it could’ve been worse) out with injuries.
“A couple of weeks ago if you asked me if I thought this would be happening I probably would have said no,” Peters told the Raleigh Observer & News.
“The crazy thing about this game is you never know when you’re going to get this opportunity.
“You’ve got to try and take advantage of the opportunities you get because you don’t know if you’re going to get one again.”
However, his foray into the starting duties has been a tough go, not quite panning out the way he perhaps envisioned.
He has yet to record a win in any of his last three games, allowing nine goals in that span. He hasn’t had much goal support, either. The Hurricanes have scored only four times over Peters’ last three games.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 3
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)