Nov 1, 2013, 12:20 AM EDT
It’s Justin Peters‘ net, for the time being at least.
The 27-year-old Peters has taken over the starting goaltender duties for the Carolina Hurricanes, with Cam Ward (he’ll miss three-to-four weeks) and Anton Khudobin (it could’ve been worse) out with injuries.
“A couple of weeks ago if you asked me if I thought this would be happening I probably would have said no,” Peters told the Raleigh Observer & News.
“The crazy thing about this game is you never know when you’re going to get this opportunity.
“You’ve got to try and take advantage of the opportunities you get because you don’t know if you’re going to get one again.”
However, his foray into the starting duties has been a tough go, not quite panning out the way he perhaps envisioned.
He has yet to record a win in any of his last three games, allowing nine goals in that span. He hasn’t had much goal support, either. The Hurricanes have scored only four times over Peters’ last three games.
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 65
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)