Nov 1, 2013, 8:32 PM EST
Things are going very well for the Pittsburgh Penguins tonight and terribly for the Philadelphia Flyers. That seems to be a theme this season.
Flyers goaltender Steve Mason has been one of the few bright spots for the Flyers this season, but he couldn’t save Philadelphia tonight. Mason allowed three goals on eight shots against the Washington Capitals before being yanked early in the second period.
Ray Emery replaced him and has allowed allowed another goal to give Washington a 4-0 lead midway through the second period.
Meanwhile 2013 Vezina Trophy winner Sergei Bobrovsky turned aside just 10 of 13 shots against the Penguins before also getting pulled in the second frame. Columbus replaced Bobrovsky with Curtis McElhinney and the parallels between these two matches continued with McElhinney surrendering a quick goal.
The difference is that Derek MacKenzie got one back for the Blue Jackets, reducing the deficit to 4-1 near the halfway point of regulation time.
With a 9-4-0 record, the Pittsburgh Penguins are the only above-.500 team in the Metropolitan Division. Columbus and Washington enter the night with 10 points each while the Philadelphia Flyers are last in the division at 3-8-0.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (56)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)