Nov 1, 2013, 8:32 PM EDT
Things are going very well for the Pittsburgh Penguins tonight and terribly for the Philadelphia Flyers. That seems to be a theme this season.
Flyers goaltender Steve Mason has been one of the few bright spots for the Flyers this season, but he couldn’t save Philadelphia tonight. Mason allowed three goals on eight shots against the Washington Capitals before being yanked early in the second period.
Ray Emery replaced him and has allowed allowed another goal to give Washington a 4-0 lead midway through the second period.
Meanwhile 2013 Vezina Trophy winner Sergei Bobrovsky turned aside just 10 of 13 shots against the Penguins before also getting pulled in the second frame. Columbus replaced Bobrovsky with Curtis McElhinney and the parallels between these two matches continued with McElhinney surrendering a quick goal.
The difference is that Derek MacKenzie got one back for the Blue Jackets, reducing the deficit to 4-1 near the halfway point of regulation time.
With a 9-4-0 record, the Pittsburgh Penguins are the only above-.500 team in the Metropolitan Division. Columbus and Washington enter the night with 10 points each while the Philadelphia Flyers are last in the division at 3-8-0.
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 2
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 32
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 143
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 15
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 4
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 28
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (145)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)