Nov 1, 2013, 8:32 PM EDT
Things are going very well for the Pittsburgh Penguins tonight and terribly for the Philadelphia Flyers. That seems to be a theme this season.
Flyers goaltender Steve Mason has been one of the few bright spots for the Flyers this season, but he couldn’t save Philadelphia tonight. Mason allowed three goals on eight shots against the Washington Capitals before being yanked early in the second period.
Ray Emery replaced him and has allowed allowed another goal to give Washington a 4-0 lead midway through the second period.
Meanwhile 2013 Vezina Trophy winner Sergei Bobrovsky turned aside just 10 of 13 shots against the Penguins before also getting pulled in the second frame. Columbus replaced Bobrovsky with Curtis McElhinney and the parallels between these two matches continued with McElhinney surrendering a quick goal.
The difference is that Derek MacKenzie got one back for the Blue Jackets, reducing the deficit to 4-1 near the halfway point of regulation time.
With a 9-4-0 record, the Pittsburgh Penguins are the only above-.500 team in the Metropolitan Division. Columbus and Washington enter the night with 10 points each while the Philadelphia Flyers are last in the division at 3-8-0.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)