Nov 1, 2013, 8:32 PM EDT
Things are going very well for the Pittsburgh Penguins tonight and terribly for the Philadelphia Flyers. That seems to be a theme this season.
Flyers goaltender Steve Mason has been one of the few bright spots for the Flyers this season, but he couldn’t save Philadelphia tonight. Mason allowed three goals on eight shots against the Washington Capitals before being yanked early in the second period.
Ray Emery replaced him and has allowed allowed another goal to give Washington a 4-0 lead midway through the second period.
Meanwhile 2013 Vezina Trophy winner Sergei Bobrovsky turned aside just 10 of 13 shots against the Penguins before also getting pulled in the second frame. Columbus replaced Bobrovsky with Curtis McElhinney and the parallels between these two matches continued with McElhinney surrendering a quick goal.
The difference is that Derek MacKenzie got one back for the Blue Jackets, reducing the deficit to 4-1 near the halfway point of regulation time.
With a 9-4-0 record, the Pittsburgh Penguins are the only above-.500 team in the Metropolitan Division. Columbus and Washington enter the night with 10 points each while the Philadelphia Flyers are last in the division at 3-8-0.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 10
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 8
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 33
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)