Nov 1, 2013, 8:32 PM EDT
Things are going very well for the Pittsburgh Penguins tonight and terribly for the Philadelphia Flyers. That seems to be a theme this season.
Flyers goaltender Steve Mason has been one of the few bright spots for the Flyers this season, but he couldn’t save Philadelphia tonight. Mason allowed three goals on eight shots against the Washington Capitals before being yanked early in the second period.
Ray Emery replaced him and has allowed allowed another goal to give Washington a 4-0 lead midway through the second period.
Meanwhile 2013 Vezina Trophy winner Sergei Bobrovsky turned aside just 10 of 13 shots against the Penguins before also getting pulled in the second frame. Columbus replaced Bobrovsky with Curtis McElhinney and the parallels between these two matches continued with McElhinney surrendering a quick goal.
The difference is that Derek MacKenzie got one back for the Blue Jackets, reducing the deficit to 4-1 near the halfway point of regulation time.
With a 9-4-0 record, the Pittsburgh Penguins are the only above-.500 team in the Metropolitan Division. Columbus and Washington enter the night with 10 points each while the Philadelphia Flyers are last in the division at 3-8-0.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 21
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)