Enstrom confirms that he won’t play in Olympics

Nov 1, 2013, 9:05 AM EDT

Comments Off
Tobias Enstrom AP

On Wednesday a Swedish report surfaced stating that Tobias Enstrom, 28, decided to remove himself from consideration to join Team Sweden for the 2014 Winter Olympics. The Winnipeg Jets defenseman has confirmed that report.

“I want to focus on Winnipeg, rest my body and be prepared for the last run (for the playoffs),” said Enstrom told the Winnipeg Sun. “It was not an easy decision to make. I’ve been talking to a lot of people involved but I felt like I did the right thing.

“I didn’t feel 100% about going, that’s why I said no. I wanted to make it clear to them too, so I’m not telling them at the last second.”

Over the previous two seasons, Enstrom has been sidelined at various times due to a broken collar bone as well as back and shoulder injuries. All told he played in 84 of a possible 130 games over that span.

He feels better than he has in quite a while with seven points and a plus-two rating in 14 contests. Since being taken by the Atlanta Thrashers in the eighth round of the 2003 NHL Entry Draft, Enstrom hasn’t participated in a single NHL playoff game. The Jets are 5-7-2 this season.

Latest Posts
  1. Video: Burrows ‘surprised, upset’ he received a major penalty for hit on Gaustad

Apr 1, 2015, 1:41 AM EDT

Getty Images

Could the Vancouver forward be facing further discipline from the league?

2. ‘We just didn’t have it tonight': Lightning lose to Maple Leafs

Apr 1, 2015, 1:17 AM EDT

Getty Images

Tampa Bay is in a battle for the Atlantic Division.

3. Canucks’ Bieksa penalized for illegal check to the head

Mar 31, 2015, 9:38 PM EDT

Getty Images

Could Vancouver’s veteran defenseman be looking at a suspension?

4. NHL bringing back draft pick compensation this offseason for hiring away coaches, GMs

Mar 31, 2015, 7:49 PM EDT

Colorado Avalanche v Detroit Red Wings Getty Images

3rd-round pick if it happens after the season, 2nd-rounder if it happens in-season.

5. Contract stalemate continues between Columbus, prized prospect Reilly

Mar 31, 2015, 6:59 PM EDT

2014 NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey Championship - Semifinals Getty Images

University of Minnesota blueliner inching closer to free agency.

6. Bettman shoots down idea of renaming NHL awards

Mar 31, 2015, 6:41 PM EDT

2014 NHL Awards - Arrivals Getty Images

So the Hart will not, as some have suggested, become the Gretzky.

7. Versteeg misses Kane

Mar 31, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT

Toronto Maple Leafs v Chicago Blackhawks Toronto Maple Leafs v Chicago Blackhawks

Blackhawks duo “had a good thing going.”

8. Pressure’s on the Jets, who don’t want to blow it now

Mar 31, 2015, 3:38 PM EDT

Minnesota Wild v Winnipeg Jets Getty Images

Could really use a win tonight versus the Rangers.

9. Despite trend of visitors winning Game 7, Laviolette wants home ice for Preds

Mar 31, 2015, 2:40 PM EDT

Peter Laviolette AP

“I can speak from experience that home ice matters.”

10. Goalie nods: Hamburglar goes for Ottawa

Mar 31, 2015, 2:13 PM EDT

Andrew Hammond Andrew Hammond

News and notes from around the crease…

Can anything stop Tampa Bay?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches