Enstrom confirms that he won’t play in Olympics

Nov 1, 2013, 9:05 AM EDT

Comments Off
Tobias Enstrom AP

On Wednesday a Swedish report surfaced stating that Tobias Enstrom, 28, decided to remove himself from consideration to join Team Sweden for the 2014 Winter Olympics. The Winnipeg Jets defenseman has confirmed that report.

“I want to focus on Winnipeg, rest my body and be prepared for the last run (for the playoffs),” said Enstrom told the Winnipeg Sun. “It was not an easy decision to make. I’ve been talking to a lot of people involved but I felt like I did the right thing.

“I didn’t feel 100% about going, that’s why I said no. I wanted to make it clear to them too, so I’m not telling them at the last second.”

Over the previous two seasons, Enstrom has been sidelined at various times due to a broken collar bone as well as back and shoulder injuries. All told he played in 84 of a possible 130 games over that span.

He feels better than he has in quite a while with seven points and a plus-two rating in 14 contests. Since being taken by the Atlanta Thrashers in the eighth round of the 2003 NHL Entry Draft, Enstrom hasn’t participated in a single NHL playoff game. The Jets are 5-7-2 this season.

Latest Posts
  1. Forsberg named rookie tourney MVP, Ekblad all-tournament

Sep 16, 2014, 8:21 PM EDT

Filip Forsberg Getty Images

Florida’s youngsters stole the show overall.

2. Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury

Sep 16, 2014, 7:18 PM EDT

Josh Harding Josh Harding

And he’ll reportedly miss part of Minnesota’s training camp.

3. Sens bringing ex-Devils Mills, Palmieri to camp

Sep 16, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT

New Jersey Devils v Boston Bruins New Jersey Devils v Boston Bruins

The former appeared in three games for Chicago last year; the latter played in Germany.

4. Ducks score another nice deal, ink Smith-Pelly for two years, $1.6M

Sep 16, 2014, 4:33 PM EDT

Phoenix Coyotes v Anaheim Ducks Getty Images

Just one month after re-signing Jakob Silfverberg on the cheap.

5. Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving

Sep 16, 2014, 4:10 PM EDT

Bill Daly

“Fines are meaningful. And I think it has to do with essentially being called out.”

6. Veteran d-man Clark joins Avs’ staff

Sep 16, 2014, 3:21 PM EDT

Clark_Brett

He’ll be part of the player development department.

7. Richards: I gave Lombardi ‘my word’ I’d work harder in the offseason

Sep 16, 2014, 1:40 PM EDT

2014 NHL Stanley Cup Final - Game Five Getty Images

Kings forward “didn’t want to become a free agent and leave” L.A.

8. Blues bringing BizNasty to camp

Sep 16, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT

Coyotes Blues Hockey AP

That’s him getting tossed around by Ryan Reaves.

9. Daly, Holmgren honored with Lester Patrick Trophy

Sep 16, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT

billdalygetty Getty Images

For “outstanding service to hockey in the United States.”

10. After trip to neurologist, Clowe on track for training camp

Sep 16, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT

NEWARK, NJ - JANUARY 24: Ryane Clowe #29 of the New Jersey Devils takes the puck in the second period against the Washington Capitals at Prudential Center on January 24, 2014 in Newark, New Jersey. Getty Images

Veteran power forward is trying to return from another concussion.

11. Hitchcock’s advice to Mueller on making Blues: just play

Sep 16, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Mathias Seger, Peter Mueller AP

The recently signed forward hopes to stick with “powerhouse” team.

12. PHT Morning Skate: When ugly can be a good thing

Sep 16, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

victorgreen

Tuesday’s collection of links.

13. B’s Lucic admits his wrist isn’t fully healed

Sep 16, 2014, 12:45 AM EDT

Boston Bruins v Detroit Red Wings - Game Three Getty Images

“It’s turned the corner for the better as far as rehab has gone.”

14. Video: Teravainen’s beautiful pass leaves Blackhawks fans beaming

Sep 15, 2014, 11:45 PM EDT

Dallas Stars v Chicago Blackhawks Getty Images

It’s tremendous even if it was in a prospects game.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches