Nov 1, 2013, 9:05 AM EDT
On Wednesday a Swedish report surfaced stating that Tobias Enstrom, 28, decided to remove himself from consideration to join Team Sweden for the 2014 Winter Olympics. The Winnipeg Jets defenseman has confirmed that report.
“I want to focus on Winnipeg, rest my body and be prepared for the last run (for the playoffs),” said Enstrom told the Winnipeg Sun. “It was not an easy decision to make. I’ve been talking to a lot of people involved but I felt like I did the right thing.
“I didn’t feel 100% about going, that’s why I said no. I wanted to make it clear to them too, so I’m not telling them at the last second.”
Over the previous two seasons, Enstrom has been sidelined at various times due to a broken collar bone as well as back and shoulder injuries. All told he played in 84 of a possible 130 games over that span.
He feels better than he has in quite a while with seven points and a plus-two rating in 14 contests. Since being taken by the Atlanta Thrashers in the eighth round of the 2003 NHL Entry Draft, Enstrom hasn’t participated in a single NHL playoff game. The Jets are 5-7-2 this season.
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 3
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 17
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 52
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)