Nov 1, 2013, 9:05 AM EDT
On Wednesday a Swedish report surfaced stating that Tobias Enstrom, 28, decided to remove himself from consideration to join Team Sweden for the 2014 Winter Olympics. The Winnipeg Jets defenseman has confirmed that report.
“I want to focus on Winnipeg, rest my body and be prepared for the last run (for the playoffs),” said Enstrom told the Winnipeg Sun. “It was not an easy decision to make. I’ve been talking to a lot of people involved but I felt like I did the right thing.
“I didn’t feel 100% about going, that’s why I said no. I wanted to make it clear to them too, so I’m not telling them at the last second.”
Over the previous two seasons, Enstrom has been sidelined at various times due to a broken collar bone as well as back and shoulder injuries. All told he played in 84 of a possible 130 games over that span.
He feels better than he has in quite a while with seven points and a plus-two rating in 14 contests. Since being taken by the Atlanta Thrashers in the eighth round of the 2003 NHL Entry Draft, Enstrom hasn’t participated in a single NHL playoff game. The Jets are 5-7-2 this season.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 23
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)