Nov 1, 2013, 9:05 AM EDT
On Wednesday a Swedish report surfaced stating that Tobias Enstrom, 28, decided to remove himself from consideration to join Team Sweden for the 2014 Winter Olympics. The Winnipeg Jets defenseman has confirmed that report.
“I want to focus on Winnipeg, rest my body and be prepared for the last run (for the playoffs),” said Enstrom told the Winnipeg Sun. “It was not an easy decision to make. I’ve been talking to a lot of people involved but I felt like I did the right thing.
“I didn’t feel 100% about going, that’s why I said no. I wanted to make it clear to them too, so I’m not telling them at the last second.”
Over the previous two seasons, Enstrom has been sidelined at various times due to a broken collar bone as well as back and shoulder injuries. All told he played in 84 of a possible 130 games over that span.
He feels better than he has in quite a while with seven points and a plus-two rating in 14 contests. Since being taken by the Atlanta Thrashers in the eighth round of the 2003 NHL Entry Draft, Enstrom hasn’t participated in a single NHL playoff game. The Jets are 5-7-2 this season.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 2
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 23
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 34
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)