Nov 1, 2013, 2:40 PM EST
Big news out of Vancouver — the Canucks have re-signed forwards Daniel and Henrik Sedin to identical four-year, $28 million contracts.
“Daniel and Henrik are exemplary leaders, teammates and humanitarians and we’re very pleased to have them as part of our team for the long-term,” said general manager Mike Gillis in a release. “Few players in the history of this club have had more significant roles in contributing to the success of this team and to our community and we look forward to many more years with their positive influence leading the way.”
The twins, who turned 33 in September, were pending unrestricted free agents. Now the Canucks have them under contract through the 2017-18 season, after which they’ll be 37 years old.
It’s been reported the Sedins wanted a five-year term and the Canucks were pushing for three. If true, they obviously compromised at four.
As for the dollar amount, it’s hard to argue Vancouver didn’t do well here. Per CapGeek, there are 15 NHLers with a cap hit higher than $7 million, and there will be many more to come in the next four years as the upper limit rises.
Earlier this week, Gillis refuted the notion that term was the main sticking point in negotiations.
“We’re trying to figure out what the cap is going to be next year and the upcoming years and really that’s the key,” said Gillis, per the Vancouver Sun. “Those guys have been fantastic people, No. 1, for this organization. They’ve been great players and it’s really a function of how you allocate money in a cap system and we’re just trying to ensure we do the right thing for the entire organization and for Daniel and Henrik.”
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 3
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 17
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18