Nov 1, 2013, 2:40 PM EDT
Big news out of Vancouver — the Canucks have re-signed forwards Daniel and Henrik Sedin to identical four-year, $28 million contracts.
“Daniel and Henrik are exemplary leaders, teammates and humanitarians and we’re very pleased to have them as part of our team for the long-term,” said general manager Mike Gillis in a release. “Few players in the history of this club have had more significant roles in contributing to the success of this team and to our community and we look forward to many more years with their positive influence leading the way.”
The twins, who turned 33 in September, were pending unrestricted free agents. Now the Canucks have them under contract through the 2017-18 season, after which they’ll be 37 years old.
It’s been reported the Sedins wanted a five-year term and the Canucks were pushing for three. If true, they obviously compromised at four.
As for the dollar amount, it’s hard to argue Vancouver didn’t do well here. Per CapGeek, there are 15 NHLers with a cap hit higher than $7 million, and there will be many more to come in the next four years as the upper limit rises.
Earlier this week, Gillis refuted the notion that term was the main sticking point in negotiations.
“We’re trying to figure out what the cap is going to be next year and the upcoming years and really that’s the key,” said Gillis, per the Vancouver Sun. “Those guys have been fantastic people, No. 1, for this organization. They’ve been great players and it’s really a function of how you allocate money in a cap system and we’re just trying to ensure we do the right thing for the entire organization and for Daniel and Henrik.”
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 14
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 22
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (56)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)