Nov 1, 2013, 10:25 AM EDT
Charlie Coyle will return from a knee injury tonight from Minnesota, and he’ll do it on a new-look line.
Coyle, who’s played just two games this season, will suit up for the first time in 11 contests on Friday against Montreal, on a unit featuring leading scorer Zach Parise and one of either Justin Fontaine or Dany Heatley.
“The guys are excited and anxious to try it out,’’ head coach Mike Yeo told the Minnesota Star-Tribune. “But it’s one thing to do it in practice and another to do it in a game.’’
The Wild, who have been erratic offensively this season, are once again shaking things up at forward in the hope of finding the right line combinations (some argue all the line switching prevents building chemistry, but that’s another discussion for another time.)
Yeo suggested the moves prevent Minnesota from having one true “checking line,” spreading the offense out evenly across all three units. That said, Yeo was adamant his club doesn’t lose any defensive prowess up front with the new look.
“It’s easy to look at what [Granlund] has done offensively in the last little bit, but it started with his defensive game,’’ Yeo said. “There’s no reason why Charlie shouldn’t be very effective at that, too. [He has] a big body, he’s a smart hockey player, he moves well.
“And obviously Mikko [Koivu], we have no concerns about him going against top guys.”
Defenseman Jonas Brodin will be back in tonight as well, after missing the last three games with a broken cheekbone.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 90
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32