Oct 31, 2013, 1:34 PM EST
Philadelphia has made a significant roster shakeup, acquiring former Flyer and notorious pest Steve Downie from Colorado in exchange for Maxim Talbot.
Downie, 26, was Philly’s first-round pick (29th overall) at the 2005 NHL Entry Draft, and spent two seasons with the team before being dealt to Tampa Bay during the 2008-09 campaign.
He’ll return to a Flyers club looking for a spark to snap out of its 3-8-0 start to the year. Downie will certainly bring energy and some offense — he has seven points in 11 games this year — but he’s also earned a reputation as a reckless, occasionally undisciplined player, and head coach Craig Berube has stressed a need for discipline and fewer penalties this season.
As for Talbot, he heads to Colorado after three seasons with the Flyers.
Talbot, 29, has struggled recently after scoring a career-high 19 goals in his first season in Philly — he has six goals in his last 46 games, and just one this season. That said, Berube had been using Talbot as a top-six winger in recent games and based on a statement released by Avs executive VP Joe Sakic, Colorado sounds thrilled to acquire Talbot
“Maxime is a veteran forward who has won a Stanley Cup and has a lot of NHL experience,” Sakic said. “We’re looking forward to him bringing that experience to our club.”
It’s very possible Patrick Roy wanted Talbot on the recommendation of Benoit Groulx, his former QMHJL coaching adversary. Groulx coached Talbot with the Hull Olympiques in 2002-03, the same year Talbot tore it up by scoring 46 goals and 104 points in 69 games.
Earlier this year, reports out of Quebec claimed Groulx turned down an assistant coaching gig with the Avs to remain in junior.
From a contractual perspective, Downie carries a $2.65 million cap hit compared to Talbot’s $1.75 million, but Talbot has three years remaining on his deal whereas Downie’s an unrestricted free agent at year’s end.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (120)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)