Oct 31, 2013, 4:52 PM EDT
The club also said it would not recall a goalie from within the organization.
These announcements came after Varlamov, 25, was released from jail, where he was being held following his arrest on allegations of domestic violence. The Colorado goalie had posted a $5,000 bond around noon local time.
Prior to Wednesday’s arrest, Varlamov was scheduled to get the start in Dallas on the heels of a 23-save effort in Sunday’s 3-2 win over Winnipeg.
Following today’s practice, Avs head coach Patrick Roy wouldn’t commit to whether or not the plan of sending Varlamov to Dallas would change.
“We’re going to take it one day at a time, like we’ve been doing all year long,” Roy told the Denver Post. “Obviously, we’re probably going to receive calls this afternoon that we can make a decision on how we’re going to deal with the situation.
“It’s a law thing and it’s important for me as a coach that I keep my focus on my team and we keep our focus there, and at the same time, let the law decide what’s going to be.”
While most Avalanche players offered no comment about the Varlamov situation following practice, forward Matt Duchene offered his support.
“We all love Varly in here,” Duchene said. “I can’t say enough great things about him. I think we’re all pretty confident this is going to get resolved pretty quickly.”
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)