Oct 31, 2013, 4:52 PM EDT
The club also said it would not recall a goalie from within the organization.
These announcements came after Varlamov, 25, was released from jail, where he was being held following his arrest on allegations of domestic violence. The Colorado goalie had posted a $5,000 bond around noon local time.
Prior to Wednesday’s arrest, Varlamov was scheduled to get the start in Dallas on the heels of a 23-save effort in Sunday’s 3-2 win over Winnipeg.
Following today’s practice, Avs head coach Patrick Roy wouldn’t commit to whether or not the plan of sending Varlamov to Dallas would change.
“We’re going to take it one day at a time, like we’ve been doing all year long,” Roy told the Denver Post. “Obviously, we’re probably going to receive calls this afternoon that we can make a decision on how we’re going to deal with the situation.
“It’s a law thing and it’s important for me as a coach that I keep my focus on my team and we keep our focus there, and at the same time, let the law decide what’s going to be.”
While most Avalanche players offered no comment about the Varlamov situation following practice, forward Matt Duchene offered his support.
“We all love Varly in here,” Duchene said. “I can’t say enough great things about him. I think we’re all pretty confident this is going to get resolved pretty quickly.”
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 4
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 6
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 12
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 33
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 36
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)