Oct 31, 2013, 4:52 PM EDT
The club also said it would not recall a goalie from within the organization.
These announcements came after Varlamov, 25, was released from jail, where he was being held following his arrest on allegations of domestic violence. The Colorado goalie had posted a $5,000 bond around noon local time.
Prior to Wednesday’s arrest, Varlamov was scheduled to get the start in Dallas on the heels of a 23-save effort in Sunday’s 3-2 win over Winnipeg.
Following today’s practice, Avs head coach Patrick Roy wouldn’t commit to whether or not the plan of sending Varlamov to Dallas would change.
“We’re going to take it one day at a time, like we’ve been doing all year long,” Roy told the Denver Post. “Obviously, we’re probably going to receive calls this afternoon that we can make a decision on how we’re going to deal with the situation.
“It’s a law thing and it’s important for me as a coach that I keep my focus on my team and we keep our focus there, and at the same time, let the law decide what’s going to be.”
While most Avalanche players offered no comment about the Varlamov situation following practice, forward Matt Duchene offered his support.
“We all love Varly in here,” Duchene said. “I can’t say enough great things about him. I think we’re all pretty confident this is going to get resolved pretty quickly.”
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 0
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 25
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 37
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 30
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)