Oct 31, 2013, 4:52 PM EST
The club also said it would not recall a goalie from within the organization.
These announcements came after Varlamov, 25, was released from jail, where he was being held following his arrest on allegations of domestic violence. The Colorado goalie had posted a $5,000 bond around noon local time.
Prior to Wednesday’s arrest, Varlamov was scheduled to get the start in Dallas on the heels of a 23-save effort in Sunday’s 3-2 win over Winnipeg.
Following today’s practice, Avs head coach Patrick Roy wouldn’t commit to whether or not the plan of sending Varlamov to Dallas would change.
“We’re going to take it one day at a time, like we’ve been doing all year long,” Roy told the Denver Post. “Obviously, we’re probably going to receive calls this afternoon that we can make a decision on how we’re going to deal with the situation.
“It’s a law thing and it’s important for me as a coach that I keep my focus on my team and we keep our focus there, and at the same time, let the law decide what’s going to be.”
While most Avalanche players offered no comment about the Varlamov situation following practice, forward Matt Duchene offered his support.
“We all love Varly in here,” Duchene said. “I can’t say enough great things about him. I think we’re all pretty confident this is going to get resolved pretty quickly.”
- Luongo leaves game, Panthers in bind with Montoya also hurt 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 22
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)