Oct 31, 2013, 4:52 PM EDT
The club also said it would not recall a goalie from within the organization.
These announcements came after Varlamov, 25, was released from jail, where he was being held following his arrest on allegations of domestic violence. The Colorado goalie had posted a $5,000 bond around noon local time.
Prior to Wednesday’s arrest, Varlamov was scheduled to get the start in Dallas on the heels of a 23-save effort in Sunday’s 3-2 win over Winnipeg.
Following today’s practice, Avs head coach Patrick Roy wouldn’t commit to whether or not the plan of sending Varlamov to Dallas would change.
“We’re going to take it one day at a time, like we’ve been doing all year long,” Roy told the Denver Post. “Obviously, we’re probably going to receive calls this afternoon that we can make a decision on how we’re going to deal with the situation.
“It’s a law thing and it’s important for me as a coach that I keep my focus on my team and we keep our focus there, and at the same time, let the law decide what’s going to be.”
While most Avalanche players offered no comment about the Varlamov situation following practice, forward Matt Duchene offered his support.
“We all love Varly in here,” Duchene said. “I can’t say enough great things about him. I think we’re all pretty confident this is going to get resolved pretty quickly.”
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)