Sharks still can’t solve Kings in L.A.

Oct 31, 2013, 1:27 AM EDT

kingssharksrasslin Getty Images

The San Jose Sharks still haven’t won a regulation game against the Kings in Los Angeles since Jan. 1, 2011, as CSNBayArea.com points out.

The Sharks fell to 1-8-3 in their last 12 games (including the 2013 playoffs) at the Staples Center, as the Kings edged San Jose 4-3 in OT.

San Jose’s been off to a great start in 2013-14, but the problem against the Sharks’ neighbors came down to finishing. The Sharks had 1-0, 2-1 and 3-2 leads but ultimately couldn’t close out their in-state rivals on Wednesday.

It was a tight game with low shot totals as the Kings took advantage of power-play goals from Justin Williams (12:21 into the third) and Anze Kopitar in overtime to win it. Kopitar also had a primary assist on Williams’ tally.

The Sharks are perched at the top of the NHL with 22 points (10-1-2), but it wouldn’t be surprised if their road to Stanley Cup contention goes through Los Angeles. If so, the Sharks need to find a way to get it done at the Staples Center.

1. ethanmacleod1685 - Oct 31, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Sharks were sloppy, I would credit the Kings but I don’t want too

2. jhaegs - Oct 31, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Don’t worry Sharks, we feel for ya…

-Blues Fan

You guys have a high octane team, and you’ll be fine this season. LA seems like they’re off to a shaky start, and can only win in OT or a shootout. Not sure, but I don’t think that will hold up all year…

• gsprulz - Oct 31, 2013 at 2:04 AM

neither wins in the others building. LA and SJ rarely lost any home games last season and probably going to be similar this season.

• kingsfan93 - Oct 31, 2013 at 3:06 AM

Jhaegs – You mentioned about “LA seems like they’re off to a shaky start.” Well I don’t consider a 9-5-0 record a “shaky start.” But the way the Kings been playing games have not been at their best on consistent basis.

A “shaky start” to me would be Sabres, Rangers, Philly, Oilers, and etc…

• skr213 - Oct 31, 2013 at 11:59 AM

No, the Sabres, Rangers etc. are off to horrible starts. 9-5-0 is exactly a “shaky” start.

• Anoesis - Oct 31, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Blues fan consoling Sharks fans. Priceless.

3. blomfeld - Oct 31, 2013 at 1:52 AM

“wouldn’t be surprised if their road to Stanley Cup contention goes through Los Angeles” …

yeah ? … well if it does get that far for these goldfish, then that’s ‘exactly’ where it’s going to end for them ! … we beat ‘em friends and we beat ‘em good, in more ways than you can imagine ! :)

GO KINGS GO !!! … TODAY, TOMORROW AND FOREVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. sjsblitz - Oct 31, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Missing 5 players that would be in the lineup, had Mike Brown in the lineup, was the away team and still received a point in standings. I’ll take that

• qauzaq - Oct 31, 2013 at 2:20 AM

SJ’s record has shown injuries aren’t an excuse, they took two too many men penalties which is unacceptable, and they were the much more rested team of the two. I’m not trying to talk trash or anything but if I was a Sharks fan I wouldn’t be happy with tonight’s game.

• gsprulz - Oct 31, 2013 at 4:49 AM

Disagree..we led the whole game until OT.

• gp424 - Oct 31, 2013 at 12:56 PM

As a Sharks fan I agree I am not happy, but as you can see a lot of Sharks fans are happy with moral victories because after all we are used to hearing about moral victories from our GM and Players.

5. qauzaq - Oct 31, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Big win! Awesome job and Kopi with the OT winner makes this W that much better! GKG

6. gsprulz - Oct 31, 2013 at 1:54 AM

2 too many men calls should’ve been a automatic loss but, definitely happy we got a point. Really want Boyle back..we didn’t move the puck very well. Brad Stuart gave us all nightmares possible lol before halloween.

7. jhaegs - Oct 31, 2013 at 2:33 AM

blomfeld, every time you post about the Kings, you seem to orgasm at the end there. Relax buddy… you’re going to wear yourself out by the end of this (full) season.

LETS GO BLUES!!! LONG LIVE THE NOTE!!!!!! BLAAAAHHHH!!! RAAAAWWRRR!!! TO INFINITY AND BEYOND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• namriverrat69 - Oct 31, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Everyone is ignoring the title of this article “Sharks still can’t solve Kings in LA”. That is what the article is about. That title was the playoffs last year. Not who’s hurt or anything else. I thought the Sharks were the sharper team till the 3rd period when the Kings began taking the body harder than ever. Really good teams find a way to win regardless of not having their best game or even being outplayed. The Kings have proven to be one of those teams. They have a cup to prove it.

jhaegs – also, how do you know so much about blomfeld’s orgasms? It appears Blomfeld has your infinity and beyond. Enjoy your winter in St. Louis. I’ve been all over the country in all kinds of weather and everyone back east can have the cold weather. When I was in grade school in Ohio back in the mid 1950′s riding in a freezing school bus from the country to Miamisburg I froze my a$$ off. When we moved out to Arizona I never missed the cold again.

You also pointed out below that a division rivalk also earned a point. It wasn’t your team though. The Kings have owned St. Louis in the playoffs when they played too. Stay safe my friend.

8. jhaegs - Oct 31, 2013 at 2:38 AM

@qauzaq

How does the OT win make it better? A division rival also earned a point. Welcome to hockey… :/

• qauzaq - Oct 31, 2013 at 2:53 AM

I was not saying that giving the Sharks the point was a good thing. I was happy to see Kopitar, who has had trouble scoring lately, get the goal. Because it was an OT goal it was simply more exciting. Also thank you for the warm welcome! You’re a little late since I’ve been a fan for years now but it is still nice :)

• gp424 - Oct 31, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Here’s how it makes them better in any post season game the team that scores the most goals wins there are no points awarded in post season for moral victories.

9. jhaegs - Oct 31, 2013 at 3:04 AM

Read it differently than you intended. My bad ;)

10. jhaegs - Oct 31, 2013 at 3:22 AM

Which is why I said “shaky” and not “bad”. The Kings just don’t look like themselves. SIX of their nine wins came from OT or SO. Do us a favor and stop turning every game into a 3pt game. I think they made a huge mistake by letting Bernier go, too.

• Anoesis - Oct 31, 2013 at 11:22 AM

The Kings either traded Bernier to get something or lost him for nothing when he became a RFA. No way the Kings could have resigned him and remained under the cap. It was also clear since last year Bernier didn’t want to be the backup to Quick and was looking to start elsewhere. With those choices, trading him was hardly a “huge mistake.”

11. jhaegs - Oct 31, 2013 at 3:27 AM

Not a Sharks fan by the way…

Kings fans complaining about some “Kings suck” chirping? Really? You are the only fans that chant “Sharks You Suck” or “Blues You Suck” during the game. Classy

12. sjsharks66 - Oct 31, 2013 at 7:09 AM

Kings fans spends more time chanting other teams suck and ref you suck more than cheering on their own team.

• rocoop - Oct 31, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Good morning Mr. San Jose “Wish my team could beat the Kings when it counts” Shark fan….

• skr213 - Oct 31, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Because now is when it counts?

13. gp424 - Oct 31, 2013 at 12:59 PM

skr213, yes all games count look at the past two seasons and tell me how many playoff seeds were decided by 1 or 2 points?

14. gsprulz - Oct 31, 2013 at 4:53 AM

yeah…thats why kings fans beg san jose for respect constantly. It’s the truth if you really think about it.

15. Anoesis - Oct 31, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Kings fans begging SJ for respect? A team with a Cup begging a perennial also-ran for respect? The fans of the team that eliminated SJ from the playoffs last year couldn’t care less about your respect.

16. gsprulz - Oct 31, 2013 at 4:05 PM

kings have always been envious of the Sharks success. That’s no secret to long time Kings fans. Some will admit it but, the stubborn fans are too blind by 1 year of success.

17. ron05342 - Nov 1, 2013 at 11:29 AM

LOL this is the funniest comment I have read in a very long time. You surely are joking.

Let’s take you out of your pot haze for just a second to remind you the scoreboard on Cups:

Los Angeles 1, San Jose 0.

Detroit must exploit Boston's young D