Oct 31, 2013, 1:27 AM EDT
The San Jose Sharks still haven’t won a regulation game against the Kings in Los Angeles since Jan. 1, 2011, as CSNBayArea.com points out.
The Sharks fell to 1-8-3 in their last 12 games (including the 2013 playoffs) at the Staples Center, as the Kings edged San Jose 4-3 in OT.
San Jose’s been off to a great start in 2013-14, but the problem against the Sharks’ neighbors came down to finishing. The Sharks had 1-0, 2-1 and 3-2 leads but ultimately couldn’t close out their in-state rivals on Wednesday.
It was a tight game with low shot totals as the Kings took advantage of power-play goals from Justin Williams (12:21 into the third) and Anze Kopitar in overtime to win it. Kopitar also had a primary assist on Williams’ tally.
The Sharks are perched at the top of the NHL with 22 points (10-1-2), but it wouldn’t be surprised if their road to Stanley Cup contention goes through Los Angeles. If so, the Sharks need to find a way to get it done at the Staples Center.
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 0
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 18
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 28
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 26
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 13
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 50
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (51)