Oct 31, 2013, 1:27 AM EDT
The San Jose Sharks still haven’t won a regulation game against the Kings in Los Angeles since Jan. 1, 2011, as CSNBayArea.com points out.
The Sharks fell to 1-8-3 in their last 12 games (including the 2013 playoffs) at the Staples Center, as the Kings edged San Jose 4-3 in OT.
San Jose’s been off to a great start in 2013-14, but the problem against the Sharks’ neighbors came down to finishing. The Sharks had 1-0, 2-1 and 3-2 leads but ultimately couldn’t close out their in-state rivals on Wednesday.
It was a tight game with low shot totals as the Kings took advantage of power-play goals from Justin Williams (12:21 into the third) and Anze Kopitar in overtime to win it. Kopitar also had a primary assist on Williams’ tally.
The Sharks are perched at the top of the NHL with 22 points (10-1-2), but it wouldn’t be surprised if their road to Stanley Cup contention goes through Los Angeles. If so, the Sharks need to find a way to get it done at the Staples Center.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)