Oct 31, 2013, 1:28 PM EDT
A pair of Atlantic Division teams shook up their rosters on Thursday.
In Ottawa, the Senators announced they sent Jean-Gabriel Pageau to AHL Binghamton while in Boston, the Bruins announced the recall of forward Ryan Spooner.
Pageau, 20, has appeared in eight games with the Sens this year, scoring one goal while averaging 10 minutes per game. Last year’s playoff breakout star — he scored four goals and six points in 10 games — looked great in the preseason but has struggled to find his game this year, mustering just nine shots on goal total while carrying a minus-3 rating.
The news is much brighter for Spooner.
The 21-year-old, Boston’s second-round pick (45th overall) at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, has yet to appear in a game for the B’s this season after playing four games during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign.
Spooner has been a prolific scorer with AHL Providence, scoring 57 points in 59 games last year and seven through eight contests this year.
As for why Spooner’s coming up, here’s CSNNE’s Joe Haggerty:
It isn’t related to any potential injuries sustained in Wednesday night’s 3-2 loss to the Pittsburgh Penguins. It’s instead more an attempt to shake up a sleeping hockey team that head coach Claude Julien said “needed to look in the mirror” multiple times following an uninspiring loss in Pittsburgh.
On the ice, Carl Soderberg was a ghost-like non-factor in the vein of the holiday season. Jordan Caron also factored heavily in a turnover in the defensive zone that led to the game-winning goal for Jussi Jokinen, and has cooled off considerably after a good start to the season.
Spooner was one of the final Bruins’ cuts at training camp and impressed team brass with his offensive capabilities.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 29
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 52
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 24
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 89
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 14
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (89)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)