Oct 31, 2013, 1:28 PM EDT
A pair of Atlantic Division teams shook up their rosters on Thursday.
In Ottawa, the Senators announced they sent Jean-Gabriel Pageau to AHL Binghamton while in Boston, the Bruins announced the recall of forward Ryan Spooner.
Pageau, 20, has appeared in eight games with the Sens this year, scoring one goal while averaging 10 minutes per game. Last year’s playoff breakout star — he scored four goals and six points in 10 games — looked great in the preseason but has struggled to find his game this year, mustering just nine shots on goal total while carrying a minus-3 rating.
The news is much brighter for Spooner.
The 21-year-old, Boston’s second-round pick (45th overall) at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, has yet to appear in a game for the B’s this season after playing four games during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign.
Spooner has been a prolific scorer with AHL Providence, scoring 57 points in 59 games last year and seven through eight contests this year.
As for why Spooner’s coming up, here’s CSNNE’s Joe Haggerty:
It isn’t related to any potential injuries sustained in Wednesday night’s 3-2 loss to the Pittsburgh Penguins. It’s instead more an attempt to shake up a sleeping hockey team that head coach Claude Julien said “needed to look in the mirror” multiple times following an uninspiring loss in Pittsburgh.
On the ice, Carl Soderberg was a ghost-like non-factor in the vein of the holiday season. Jordan Caron also factored heavily in a turnover in the defensive zone that led to the game-winning goal for Jussi Jokinen, and has cooled off considerably after a good start to the season.
Spooner was one of the final Bruins’ cuts at training camp and impressed team brass with his offensive capabilities.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)