Oct 31, 2013, 5:46 PM EDT
Scott, 31, was suspended indefinitely pending his in-person hearing with the NHL’s Department of Player Safety, a meeting that took place today. As such, he’s already served three of his seven games and will miss a fourth tonight as the Sabres take on the Rangers in New York.
“Scott cuts across Eriksson and delivers and delivers a shoulder to Eriksson’s head, making it the main point of contact and causing a serious injury,” NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan explained. “Although Eriksson is eligible to be checked on this play, he is not eligible to be checked in this fashion.”
Shanahan also said it was “important” to note the onus of the hit — and subsequent injury — landed solely on Scott, as Eriksson made no late movements or shifts to play into the contact.
Here’s the video:
Also worth noting that Shanahan threw out the “headshot because he’s tall defense,” on the grounds that Scott has recorded over 200 hits in his NHL career, and hasn’t faced supplemental discipline for any of them.
Translation: Despite being 6-foot-8, Scott knows how to hit people legally.
Scott will forfeit $26,923.05 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund. He is eligible to return to action on Friday, Nov. 8 when the Sabres play in Anaheim against the Ducks.
Jul 9, 2014, 9:41 PM EDT
Unlike what they did with Sean Monahan and Sven Baertschi.
Jul 9, 2014, 8:42 PM EDT
Appeared in nine games for Boston last season.
Jul 9, 2014, 7:43 PM EDT
Pictured: Dale Tallon.
Jul 9, 2014, 6:42 PM EDT
“We expect to have a decision by early next week.”
Jul 9, 2014, 5:49 PM EDT
Fairly significant pay cut for the former Wild winger.
Jul 9, 2014, 5:19 PM EDT
One-year, two-way deal for the ex-Jets goalie.
Jul 9, 2014, 4:21 PM EDT
NHLPA released the dates today.
Jul 9, 2014, 4:21 PM EDT
Big money for Martin Brodeur’s successor.
Jul 9, 2014, 3:23 PM EDT
Tomas Plekanec, Andrei Markov and Max Pacioretty also in the mix.
Jul 9, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Had that one great game against the Kings last season.
Jul 9, 2014, 1:10 PM EDT
$10.5 million cap hits each.
Jul 9, 2014, 12:59 PM EDT
He coached in Washington, right?
Jul 9, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
Still not clear how he hurt himself.
Jul 9, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Scored once with eight assists in his rookie season.
Jul 9, 2014, 10:42 AM EDT
Either trade him or kiss and make up.
Jul 9, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
It’s been a hot topic recently.
Jul 9, 2014, 8:13 AM EDT
That’d be 21-year-old Ryo Hashimoto, who plays for the Oji Eagles of the Asia League
Jul 9, 2014, 1:02 AM EDT
The injury impacted his performance in the playoffs.
Jul 8, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
This time, it’s Colorado’s Conner Bleackley.
Jul 8, 2014, 10:16 PM EDT
GM Doug Wilson downplayed the injury as “minor.”
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 34
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 153
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 49
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery 57
- Kane: ‘I’m a Winnipeg Jet right now… we’ll see what happens’ 50
- McDavid, Eichel top Central Scouting Futures list 14
- Columnist: Mike Green is ‘destined to be traded’ by Caps 40
- Spezza: ‘I’m just a piece to the puzzle’ in Dallas 32
- Ovechkin ‘upset’ at Grabovski departure, happy with defensive signings 18
- Washington Capitals were free agency’s biggest spenders 15
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (165)
- Pros and cons of Subban filing for arbitration (67)
- Giroux apologizes, calls actions a ‘misguided attempt at humor’ (64)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (59)