Oct 31, 2013, 5:46 PM EDT
Scott, 31, was suspended indefinitely pending his in-person hearing with the NHL’s Department of Player Safety, a meeting that took place today. As such, he’s already served three of his seven games and will miss a fourth tonight as the Sabres take on the Rangers in New York.
“Scott cuts across Eriksson and delivers and delivers a shoulder to Eriksson’s head, making it the main point of contact and causing a serious injury,” NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan explained. “Although Eriksson is eligible to be checked on this play, he is not eligible to be checked in this fashion.”
Shanahan also said it was “important” to note the onus of the hit — and subsequent injury — landed solely on Scott, as Eriksson made no late movements or shifts to play into the contact.
Here’s the video:
Also worth noting that Shanahan threw out the “headshot because he’s tall defense,” on the grounds that Scott has recorded over 200 hits in his NHL career, and hasn’t faced supplemental discipline for any of them.
Translation: Despite being 6-foot-8, Scott knows how to hit people legally.
Scott will forfeit $26,923.05 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund. He is eligible to return to action on Friday, Nov. 8 when the Sabres play in Anaheim against the Ducks.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)