Oct 31, 2013, 5:46 PM EDT
Scott, 31, was suspended indefinitely pending his in-person hearing with the NHL’s Department of Player Safety, a meeting that took place today. As such, he’s already served three of his seven games and will miss a fourth tonight as the Sabres take on the Rangers in New York.
“Scott cuts across Eriksson and delivers and delivers a shoulder to Eriksson’s head, making it the main point of contact and causing a serious injury,” NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan explained. “Although Eriksson is eligible to be checked on this play, he is not eligible to be checked in this fashion.”
Shanahan also said it was “important” to note the onus of the hit — and subsequent injury — landed solely on Scott, as Eriksson made no late movements or shifts to play into the contact.
Here’s the video:
Also worth noting that Shanahan threw out the “headshot because he’s tall defense,” on the grounds that Scott has recorded over 200 hits in his NHL career, and hasn’t faced supplemental discipline for any of them.
Translation: Despite being 6-foot-8, Scott knows how to hit people legally.
Scott will forfeit $26,923.05 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund. He is eligible to return to action on Friday, Nov. 8 when the Sabres play in Anaheim against the Ducks.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 19
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 62
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)