Oct 31, 2013, 5:46 PM EDT
Scott, 31, was suspended indefinitely pending his in-person hearing with the NHL’s Department of Player Safety, a meeting that took place today. As such, he’s already served three of his seven games and will miss a fourth tonight as the Sabres take on the Rangers in New York.
“Scott cuts across Eriksson and delivers and delivers a shoulder to Eriksson’s head, making it the main point of contact and causing a serious injury,” NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan explained. “Although Eriksson is eligible to be checked on this play, he is not eligible to be checked in this fashion.”
Shanahan also said it was “important” to note the onus of the hit — and subsequent injury — landed solely on Scott, as Eriksson made no late movements or shifts to play into the contact.
Here’s the video:
Also worth noting that Shanahan threw out the “headshot because he’s tall defense,” on the grounds that Scott has recorded over 200 hits in his NHL career, and hasn’t faced supplemental discipline for any of them.
Translation: Despite being 6-foot-8, Scott knows how to hit people legally.
Scott will forfeit $26,923.05 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund. He is eligible to return to action on Friday, Nov. 8 when the Sabres play in Anaheim against the Ducks.
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 14
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 37
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 149
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 4
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (152)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)