Oct 31, 2013, 2:15 PM EDT
Henrik Lundqvist will be back in goal tonight for the New York Rangers, and for some reason he’s expecting “a tough game” from the visiting Buffalo Sabres, a.k.a. the worst team in the NHL.
“Their record is not great but they’re still a good team,” Lundqvist said, per NorthJersey.com. “They’re going to come hard and be a desperate team, similar to us. They’re playing better and better so I expect a tough game.”
OK, so obviously Lundqvist’s not going to say what everyone else has been saying, which is that the Sabres’ play has been downright embarrassing this season. Best to take the classy approach. No need to risk a Lars Eller-type situation. After all, it’s not like the Rangers have been tearing up the NHL either.
The thing is, the Sabres have already had numerous opportunities to “come hard and be a desperate team,” and their frustrated fans are still waiting to see it.
As for Lundqvist’s assertion that the Sabres are “playing better,” we suppose they were somewhat improved Monday against Dallas — “Tonight, there were some of probably the most positive signs I’ve seen in a long, long time,” said captain Steve Ott — but they still lost, 4-3, at home to a Stars side that’s been average at best in 2013-14.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (97)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (76)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)