Oct 31, 2013, 2:15 PM EDT
Henrik Lundqvist will be back in goal tonight for the New York Rangers, and for some reason he’s expecting “a tough game” from the visiting Buffalo Sabres, a.k.a. the worst team in the NHL.
“Their record is not great but they’re still a good team,” Lundqvist said, per NorthJersey.com. “They’re going to come hard and be a desperate team, similar to us. They’re playing better and better so I expect a tough game.”
OK, so obviously Lundqvist’s not going to say what everyone else has been saying, which is that the Sabres’ play has been downright embarrassing this season. Best to take the classy approach. No need to risk a Lars Eller-type situation. After all, it’s not like the Rangers have been tearing up the NHL either.
The thing is, the Sabres have already had numerous opportunities to “come hard and be a desperate team,” and their frustrated fans are still waiting to see it.
As for Lundqvist’s assertion that the Sabres are “playing better,” we suppose they were somewhat improved Monday against Dallas — “Tonight, there were some of probably the most positive signs I’ve seen in a long, long time,” said captain Steve Ott — but they still lost, 4-3, at home to a Stars side that’s been average at best in 2013-14.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)