Oct 31, 2013, 2:15 PM EST
Henrik Lundqvist will be back in goal tonight for the New York Rangers, and for some reason he’s expecting “a tough game” from the visiting Buffalo Sabres, a.k.a. the worst team in the NHL.
“Their record is not great but they’re still a good team,” Lundqvist said, per NorthJersey.com. “They’re going to come hard and be a desperate team, similar to us. They’re playing better and better so I expect a tough game.”
OK, so obviously Lundqvist’s not going to say what everyone else has been saying, which is that the Sabres’ play has been downright embarrassing this season. Best to take the classy approach. No need to risk a Lars Eller-type situation. After all, it’s not like the Rangers have been tearing up the NHL either.
The thing is, the Sabres have already had numerous opportunities to “come hard and be a desperate team,” and their frustrated fans are still waiting to see it.
As for Lundqvist’s assertion that the Sabres are “playing better,” we suppose they were somewhat improved Monday against Dallas — “Tonight, there were some of probably the most positive signs I’ve seen in a long, long time,” said captain Steve Ott — but they still lost, 4-3, at home to a Stars side that’s been average at best in 2013-14.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)