Oct 31, 2013, 2:15 PM EDT
Henrik Lundqvist will be back in goal tonight for the New York Rangers, and for some reason he’s expecting “a tough game” from the visiting Buffalo Sabres, a.k.a. the worst team in the NHL.
“Their record is not great but they’re still a good team,” Lundqvist said, per NorthJersey.com. “They’re going to come hard and be a desperate team, similar to us. They’re playing better and better so I expect a tough game.”
OK, so obviously Lundqvist’s not going to say what everyone else has been saying, which is that the Sabres’ play has been downright embarrassing this season. Best to take the classy approach. No need to risk a Lars Eller-type situation. After all, it’s not like the Rangers have been tearing up the NHL either.
The thing is, the Sabres have already had numerous opportunities to “come hard and be a desperate team,” and their frustrated fans are still waiting to see it.
As for Lundqvist’s assertion that the Sabres are “playing better,” we suppose they were somewhat improved Monday against Dallas — “Tonight, there were some of probably the most positive signs I’ve seen in a long, long time,” said captain Steve Ott — but they still lost, 4-3, at home to a Stars side that’s been average at best in 2013-14.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)