Lawyer for alleged Varlamov victim details allegations

Oct 31, 2013, 11:31 AM EDT

EV

Tuesday morning was not the first time Semyon Varlamov assaulted his girlfriend, according to her lawyer. But this time, she decided to do something about it.

Referring to his client as E.V. (pictured), attorney Robert Abrams told CBS4 in Denver that a drunken Varlamov “threw her in to the wall, she went to floor and then he was stomping on her and that’s what caused the bruising and the damage.”

“This time E.V. said to us ‘That’s it, go lock him up,’” Abrams said. “This girl is 5-foot-3, 100-and-nothing pounds, he’s 6-foot-2, a 210 pound professional athlete. This is a very sizeable force approaching you and this is terrifying.”

Abrams also said the woman was hospitalized as a result of the assault.

Click here for video of the story from CBS4.

Tweets from Denver Post reporter Ryan Parker:

Related:

Avs’ Varlamov jailed on domestic violence charges

Varlamov’s father: ‘No crime was committed’

Russian politician: Varlamov arrest is ‘an effort to weaken our national team’

1. operwapitsai - Oct 31, 2013 at 11:43 AM

thank god caps got rid of him when they did! and for a 1st, 2nd, 3rd rounder…… and people say the caps may have lost out now lol

• curioustraveler13 - Oct 31, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Seriously the women claims to have beaten multiple times and your first thought is “well the caps made out on that trade”. What the heck is wrong with society now a days.

• bgrillz - Oct 31, 2013 at 12:08 PM

That’s a Caps fan for ya…

• 950003cups - Oct 31, 2013 at 12:48 PM

This is getting serious. I was expecting that the details to emerge would have been something small that got blown out of proportion.

This sounds like he went all Potvin on her. I’ll never understand why a man would do that to a defenseless woman.

I would normally say, “I hope to never see him play in the privileged NHL ever again” But unfortunately, in today’s sports, if you can win, then you’re in. That being said, I hope his career goes downhill and he leaves the NHL.

• sunderlanding - Oct 31, 2013 at 1:49 PM

This is a hockey webpage. Worse things happen to people every day.

2. joey4id - Oct 31, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Ok! We’ve had out fun with the jokes. Now we have details, that are not proven, and a name, which somehow adds more life (no pun intended) to this story. It’s no laughing matter when a man abuses a woman regardless of your social status. If the allegation are true, then throw the book at Varlamov. Rehab, anger management, and whatever else he needs to stop this BS abuse towards women. I don’t care about the game when it comes down to criminal behavior.

• sunderlanding - Oct 31, 2013 at 1:51 PM

…but it is amusing when a woman abuses a man? You realize it’s sexist to pinpoint one? How about it’s not cool to abuse people, and we quit focusing on what kind of person was abusing what kind of person.

• joey4id - Oct 31, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Sorry for crafting a comment which was specifically referring to the parties and allegations reported in this article.

• sunderlanding - Oct 31, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Come on if this was the other way around your post would’ve been entirely different. We all jump and scream when a woman is abused because we’re all a little bit sexist.

• micasa81 - Oct 31, 2013 at 3:55 PM

It’s true, in fact, many of us are more than a little bit sexist (this is a hockey blog, surprise, surprise). But the thing is, we don’t often see situations where a 6-2 210 lb. woman is stomping on her 100 lb. boyfriend. There’s sexism, and then there’s the biological reality that women need protecting from men way more often than vice versa.

• sunderlanding - Oct 31, 2013 at 4:02 PM

I know it doesn’t happen a lot, that was never my point. All I’m saying is the more we bring attention to the fact that a “woman” was beaten by a “man” the more we perpetuate sexism. We should focus on the the fact that someone got beat up, and not who did it to who. What do you think it does to little girls when they see that everywhere? People reinforcing the idea that girls are weaker then men. “How could a man hit a woman?” Or even better yet. “She’s just a woman.” That kind of attitude reinforces sexism in our culture.

• hockeyflow33 - Oct 31, 2013 at 4:12 PM

You’re making me agree with joey which I can’t believe. Are you seriously trying to tell people that men getting beat by women is a problem???

• sunderlanding - Oct 31, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Read my post moron. I never said that.

• hockeyflow33 - Oct 31, 2013 at 4:18 PM

I don’t understand, is this a bit? What are you trying to say?

• sunderlanding - Oct 31, 2013 at 4:23 PM

I’m saying focusing on the fact that a “man” beat a “woman” is sexist. At no point did I say “women beating men is the real problem”. If you take the time to read the post you’ll see that.

• hockeyflow33 - Oct 31, 2013 at 4:29 PM

No it isn’t. In this case, based on the initial facts from police, a man beat a woman. How else would you describe the situation?

• sunderlanding - Oct 31, 2013 at 4:30 PM

A person was abused. Based on the facts you could also say some Russians were fighting.

• sunderlanding - Oct 31, 2013 at 4:33 PM

You’re still mising the point. It’s not sexist to know that she was a girl. That would be stupid. But you’re crazy if you think people would get as upset if he abused another guy. Even if that guy was 100lbs.

• hockeyflow33 - Oct 31, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Right, because men can hit other men, (they used to be able to anyways). If you need an explanation as to why hitting women is exponentially worse than hitting men I question how you were raised.

• sunderlanding - Oct 31, 2013 at 4:49 PM

I don’t need an explanation. I already said it. Sexism is the reason why one is worse. Thank you for proving my point.

• micasa81 - Oct 31, 2013 at 5:53 PM

I think you’re trying to get at the fact that if it was a man that was the victim, we don’t have as much sympathy because our societal norms dictate that men are supposed to be able to physically defend themselves, while women are expected to need protecting. You don’t think those norms are healthy or fair. That’s fine, and in a different context I could appreciate what you’re saying. But nobody can hear your message in this case, because it sounds like you’re minimizing the fact that a person, who happens to be a woman, may have been viciously beaten by a much stronger person, who happens to be a man.

• sunderlanding - Nov 1, 2013 at 2:09 AM

That’s not my intention. To me this is the best time to bring it up because there is a reference point. We’re all doing it at this moment, so it makes sense.

3. zacmelvinmcnutt - Oct 31, 2013 at 11:47 AM

I wish this guy would emulate Patrick Roy ON the ice not off it

4. curioustraveler13 - Oct 31, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Thank you PHT for adding that report comment button, and for taking appropriate action. Little things like that go a long way with a lot of readers. Much appreciated.

• hockeyflow33 - Oct 31, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Why is this a good thing? Idiots are allowed to have opinions and this board has almost no spam so it seems unnecessary.
      Everyone on here posts hockey-related ideas and it never gets out of hand. As much as it pains me to say this, blomfelds posts, (which I never read and always down vote), will be reported and they shouldn’t be.

• curioustraveler13 - Oct 31, 2013 at 4:37 PM

If you would of saw the post “orangeandblack” posted that was taken down, you would understand. There’s no place for that kind of immature nonsense. Its up to the editors and writers to make the judgement call to delete something. Once its reported doesn’t necessarily mean it has to be taken down.

• hockeyflow33 - Oct 31, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Yea, I don’t get this kind of logic. If I see something I don’t like, I don’t need to pretend that I’m somehow deeply offended and taken aback by it. I just move on with reading or close the page down.

• curioustraveler13 - Oct 31, 2013 at 4:56 PM

That’s cool that is your opinion. I wasn’t pretending to be offended by the comment i was offended by it, because it was a disgusting comment that didn’t belong in a hockey forum. That report button helps them clean up their comments section. Feel free to close this page though.

5. crazemastercraze - Oct 31, 2013 at 12:10 PM

She’s hot and probably super annoying. But I don’t understand why a man can’t walk away from a situation and feels the need to beat on someone and in some cases kill. But he is Russian, those guys haven’t evolved much past the 5th century

• stakex - Oct 31, 2013 at 12:32 PM

You have any idea how much domestic violence happens in the US every year? To blame it on the guy being Russian would be laughable if it wasn’t so ignorant.

Also, why does she have to be super annoying? Way to blame the victim…. that you don’t even know.

6. jhaegs - Oct 31, 2013 at 12:21 PM

So she’s single… Sup girl?

7. dasportsninja - Oct 31, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Not to make light of a serious situation, but…..I think I would slap dat azz

• drewsylvania - Oct 31, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Comments like this are part of the problem.

• sunderlanding - Oct 31, 2013 at 4:55 PM

The problem is people making jokes? We should as a so called “enlightened” culture be able to tell when someone is making a joke. Furthermore, we should be free to joke about anything we want. If it’s ok to laugh when someone gets a pie in the face it should be ok to laugh at anything. Remember he’s not the one who was abusing his spouse.

8. orangandblack - Oct 31, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I would love to find stats on the ratio of NHL player arrests/criminal backgrounds vs. that of the NBA and NFL….The conclusions would draw themselves

• ibieiniid - Oct 31, 2013 at 12:42 PM

it’s 1 to 1 thousand. NFL WINS!

9. sjsharks66 - Oct 31, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Wait, so he threw her against a wall and stomped her out and all she walked away with was a bruise on her arm and hip?

They use the size and strength between the two and made her seem like she was beaten severely. I am not condoning his actions if he is guilty, I just feel like it is being made into something bigger than it actually was.

Another thing is the threat in Russian holds no water to the case unless he admits it or has audio evidence that he did this.

• bmscalise - Oct 31, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Did you miss the part where it said she was hospitalized?

10. kaptaanamerica - Oct 31, 2013 at 3:35 PM

No one knows what happened and all this speculation is a waste of time.

11. navigatorgrim - Oct 31, 2013 at 5:04 PM

What happened to the kidnapping part of the charges..? We’ve heard what shes said and read the police reports, but I havent seen anything in regard to kidnapping, which I figured would be the main point of conversation since it carries the heaviest punishment…

12. spoiledbratswhosuck - Nov 1, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Pro sports are rife with

PEDS
    STEROIDS
    DRUGS
    ALCHOHOL
    PUNKS
    ABUSERS

That mix is super dangerous when given to people who think they are above the law, entitled, priviledged and super special.

Add to this owners who pander to them and you get out of control animals that make a stray dog after a hurricane look meek.

Most of these athletes if they were not jocks would be living at home with mommy and daddy working a P/T job bagging groceries.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches