Oct 31, 2013, 12:15 PM EDT
Defenseman Alexei Emelin has signed a four-year, $16.4 million contract extension with the Montreal Canadiens.
Emelin is currently on injured reserve following offseason knee surgery. The 27-year-old had 12 points in 38 games last season while averaging 19:40 of ice time per game.
“We are very happy to have secured a long-term agreement with Alexei,” said Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin in a release. “He is an important part of our group of core players. He shows a very good work ethic and has a good attitude. He can play big minutes against the opponents’ best players, and hard-hitting defensemen of his type are hard to find. We are very confident that he will fully recover from his knee injury and be able to compete at a high level for many years to come.”
“I am very pleased to be a member of the Montreal Canadiens organization for the coming years. I love Montreal and I am confident that I will soon return to the ice fully recovered from my injury and contribute to the success of our team,” said Emelin in the same release.
Prior to signing the extension, Emelin was a pending unrestricted free agent, a factor that needs to be taken into account when considering the not insignificant $4.1 million cap hit.
Updated: According to Renaud Lavoie in Montreal, the Emelin contract extension includes a no-trade clause in 2014-15 to 2015-16, and a limited no-trade clause in 2016-17 and 2017-18.
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 0
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 45
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)