Oct 31, 2013, 12:15 PM EDT
Defenseman Alexei Emelin has signed a four-year, $16.4 million contract extension with the Montreal Canadiens.
Emelin is currently on injured reserve following offseason knee surgery. The 27-year-old had 12 points in 38 games last season while averaging 19:40 of ice time per game.
“We are very happy to have secured a long-term agreement with Alexei,” said Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin in a release. “He is an important part of our group of core players. He shows a very good work ethic and has a good attitude. He can play big minutes against the opponents’ best players, and hard-hitting defensemen of his type are hard to find. We are very confident that he will fully recover from his knee injury and be able to compete at a high level for many years to come.”
“I am very pleased to be a member of the Montreal Canadiens organization for the coming years. I love Montreal and I am confident that I will soon return to the ice fully recovered from my injury and contribute to the success of our team,” said Emelin in the same release.
Prior to signing the extension, Emelin was a pending unrestricted free agent, a factor that needs to be taken into account when considering the not insignificant $4.1 million cap hit.
Updated: According to Renaud Lavoie in Montreal, the Emelin contract extension includes a no-trade clause in 2014-15 to 2015-16, and a limited no-trade clause in 2016-17 and 2017-18.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 6
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 56
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)