Oct 31, 2013, 12:15 PM EDT
Defenseman Alexei Emelin has signed a four-year, $16.4 million contract extension with the Montreal Canadiens.
Emelin is currently on injured reserve following offseason knee surgery. The 27-year-old had 12 points in 38 games last season while averaging 19:40 of ice time per game.
“We are very happy to have secured a long-term agreement with Alexei,” said Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin in a release. “He is an important part of our group of core players. He shows a very good work ethic and has a good attitude. He can play big minutes against the opponents’ best players, and hard-hitting defensemen of his type are hard to find. We are very confident that he will fully recover from his knee injury and be able to compete at a high level for many years to come.”
“I am very pleased to be a member of the Montreal Canadiens organization for the coming years. I love Montreal and I am confident that I will soon return to the ice fully recovered from my injury and contribute to the success of our team,” said Emelin in the same release.
Prior to signing the extension, Emelin was a pending unrestricted free agent, a factor that needs to be taken into account when considering the not insignificant $4.1 million cap hit.
Updated: According to Renaud Lavoie in Montreal, the Emelin contract extension includes a no-trade clause in 2014-15 to 2015-16, and a limited no-trade clause in 2016-17 and 2017-18.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)