Oct 31, 2013, 12:15 PM EDT
Defenseman Alexei Emelin has signed a four-year, $16.4 million contract extension with the Montreal Canadiens.
Emelin is currently on injured reserve following offseason knee surgery. The 27-year-old had 12 points in 38 games last season while averaging 19:40 of ice time per game.
“We are very happy to have secured a long-term agreement with Alexei,” said Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin in a release. “He is an important part of our group of core players. He shows a very good work ethic and has a good attitude. He can play big minutes against the opponents’ best players, and hard-hitting defensemen of his type are hard to find. We are very confident that he will fully recover from his knee injury and be able to compete at a high level for many years to come.”
“I am very pleased to be a member of the Montreal Canadiens organization for the coming years. I love Montreal and I am confident that I will soon return to the ice fully recovered from my injury and contribute to the success of our team,” said Emelin in the same release.
Prior to signing the extension, Emelin was a pending unrestricted free agent, a factor that needs to be taken into account when considering the not insignificant $4.1 million cap hit.
Updated: According to Renaud Lavoie in Montreal, the Emelin contract extension includes a no-trade clause in 2014-15 to 2015-16, and a limited no-trade clause in 2016-17 and 2017-18.
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight vs. B’s 0
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 20
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 19
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 83
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 96
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)