Oct 31, 2013, 12:15 PM EDT
Defenseman Alexei Emelin has signed a four-year, $16.4 million contract extension with the Montreal Canadiens.
Emelin is currently on injured reserve following offseason knee surgery. The 27-year-old had 12 points in 38 games last season while averaging 19:40 of ice time per game.
“We are very happy to have secured a long-term agreement with Alexei,” said Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin in a release. “He is an important part of our group of core players. He shows a very good work ethic and has a good attitude. He can play big minutes against the opponents’ best players, and hard-hitting defensemen of his type are hard to find. We are very confident that he will fully recover from his knee injury and be able to compete at a high level for many years to come.”
“I am very pleased to be a member of the Montreal Canadiens organization for the coming years. I love Montreal and I am confident that I will soon return to the ice fully recovered from my injury and contribute to the success of our team,” said Emelin in the same release.
Prior to signing the extension, Emelin was a pending unrestricted free agent, a factor that needs to be taken into account when considering the not insignificant $4.1 million cap hit.
Updated: According to Renaud Lavoie in Montreal, the Emelin contract extension includes a no-trade clause in 2014-15 to 2015-16, and a limited no-trade clause in 2016-17 and 2017-18.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 29
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 8
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (29)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)