Oct 31, 2013, 3:03 PM EDT
News and notes from around the blue paint…
Greiss in net for Phoenix
Thomas Greiss will spell Mike Smith — one of the NHL’s busiest goalies — when the Coyotes host Nashville on Thursday night.
Greiss, 27, has only made three appearances this season and just one start, a 2-1 win over Philly in which he stopped 36 of 37 shots. He hasn’t played since coming on in relief of Smith in a 7-4 loss to Los Angeles last Thursday.
Smith, meanwhile, sits second in the NHL in shots faced (373), fifth in time on ice (666:17) and is tied for first in games played (12) and starts (12).
Ducks go back to Hiller
Anaheim will give Jonas Hiller his ninth start of the season tonight in Boston.
Hiller, 31, was in goal and looked sharp during Tuesday’s 3-2 win over Philly, making 26 saves. There was some though the Ducks might turn to Frederik Andersen tonight — the 6-foot-4, 245-pound third-stringer is 3-0-0 this season with a 1.50 GAA and .944 save percentage — but the club is hopeful to get Hiller on some kind of roll, especially after he started the season by posting five straight wins.
— Still unclear who gets the start for Boston tonight after Tuukka Rask played in last night’s 3-2 loss to Pittsburgh. The B’s skipped today’s morning skate, but it’s possible Chad Johnson could get his second start of the year given it’s a back-to-back scenario.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)