Oct 31, 2013, 3:03 PM EST
News and notes from around the blue paint…
Greiss in net for Phoenix
Thomas Greiss will spell Mike Smith — one of the NHL’s busiest goalies — when the Coyotes host Nashville on Thursday night.
Greiss, 27, has only made three appearances this season and just one start, a 2-1 win over Philly in which he stopped 36 of 37 shots. He hasn’t played since coming on in relief of Smith in a 7-4 loss to Los Angeles last Thursday.
Smith, meanwhile, sits second in the NHL in shots faced (373), fifth in time on ice (666:17) and is tied for first in games played (12) and starts (12).
Ducks go back to Hiller
Anaheim will give Jonas Hiller his ninth start of the season tonight in Boston.
Hiller, 31, was in goal and looked sharp during Tuesday’s 3-2 win over Philly, making 26 saves. There was some though the Ducks might turn to Frederik Andersen tonight — the 6-foot-4, 245-pound third-stringer is 3-0-0 this season with a 1.50 GAA and .944 save percentage — but the club is hopeful to get Hiller on some kind of roll, especially after he started the season by posting five straight wins.
– Still unclear who gets the start for Boston tonight after Tuukka Rask played in last night’s 3-2 loss to Pittsburgh. The B’s skipped today’s morning skate, but it’s possible Chad Johnson could get his second start of the year given it’s a back-to-back scenario.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)