Oct 31, 2013, 3:03 PM EDT
News and notes from around the blue paint…
Greiss in net for Phoenix
Thomas Greiss will spell Mike Smith — one of the NHL’s busiest goalies — when the Coyotes host Nashville on Thursday night.
Greiss, 27, has only made three appearances this season and just one start, a 2-1 win over Philly in which he stopped 36 of 37 shots. He hasn’t played since coming on in relief of Smith in a 7-4 loss to Los Angeles last Thursday.
Smith, meanwhile, sits second in the NHL in shots faced (373), fifth in time on ice (666:17) and is tied for first in games played (12) and starts (12).
Ducks go back to Hiller
Anaheim will give Jonas Hiller his ninth start of the season tonight in Boston.
Hiller, 31, was in goal and looked sharp during Tuesday’s 3-2 win over Philly, making 26 saves. There was some though the Ducks might turn to Frederik Andersen tonight — the 6-foot-4, 245-pound third-stringer is 3-0-0 this season with a 1.50 GAA and .944 save percentage — but the club is hopeful to get Hiller on some kind of roll, especially after he started the season by posting five straight wins.
– Still unclear who gets the start for Boston tonight after Tuukka Rask played in last night’s 3-2 loss to Pittsburgh. The B’s skipped today’s morning skate, but it’s possible Chad Johnson could get his second start of the year given it’s a back-to-back scenario.
- WATCH LIVE: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins 0
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 11
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 51
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 26
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 18
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (60)