Oct 31, 2013, 3:03 PM EDT
News and notes from around the blue paint…
Greiss in net for Phoenix
Thomas Greiss will spell Mike Smith — one of the NHL’s busiest goalies — when the Coyotes host Nashville on Thursday night.
Greiss, 27, has only made three appearances this season and just one start, a 2-1 win over Philly in which he stopped 36 of 37 shots. He hasn’t played since coming on in relief of Smith in a 7-4 loss to Los Angeles last Thursday.
Smith, meanwhile, sits second in the NHL in shots faced (373), fifth in time on ice (666:17) and is tied for first in games played (12) and starts (12).
Ducks go back to Hiller
Anaheim will give Jonas Hiller his ninth start of the season tonight in Boston.
Hiller, 31, was in goal and looked sharp during Tuesday’s 3-2 win over Philly, making 26 saves. There was some though the Ducks might turn to Frederik Andersen tonight — the 6-foot-4, 245-pound third-stringer is 3-0-0 this season with a 1.50 GAA and .944 save percentage — but the club is hopeful to get Hiller on some kind of roll, especially after he started the season by posting five straight wins.
— Still unclear who gets the start for Boston tonight after Tuukka Rask played in last night’s 3-2 loss to Pittsburgh. The B’s skipped today’s morning skate, but it’s possible Chad Johnson could get his second start of the year given it’s a back-to-back scenario.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)