Oct 31, 2013, 3:03 PM EST
News and notes from around the blue paint…
Greiss in net for Phoenix
Thomas Greiss will spell Mike Smith — one of the NHL’s busiest goalies — when the Coyotes host Nashville on Thursday night.
Greiss, 27, has only made three appearances this season and just one start, a 2-1 win over Philly in which he stopped 36 of 37 shots. He hasn’t played since coming on in relief of Smith in a 7-4 loss to Los Angeles last Thursday.
Smith, meanwhile, sits second in the NHL in shots faced (373), fifth in time on ice (666:17) and is tied for first in games played (12) and starts (12).
Ducks go back to Hiller
Anaheim will give Jonas Hiller his ninth start of the season tonight in Boston.
Hiller, 31, was in goal and looked sharp during Tuesday’s 3-2 win over Philly, making 26 saves. There was some though the Ducks might turn to Frederik Andersen tonight — the 6-foot-4, 245-pound third-stringer is 3-0-0 this season with a 1.50 GAA and .944 save percentage — but the club is hopeful to get Hiller on some kind of roll, especially after he started the season by posting five straight wins.
— Still unclear who gets the start for Boston tonight after Tuukka Rask played in last night’s 3-2 loss to Pittsburgh. The B’s skipped today’s morning skate, but it’s possible Chad Johnson could get his second start of the year given it’s a back-to-back scenario.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)