Oct 31, 2013, 5:15 PM EDT
Luca Sbisa‘s regular season debut will come with Norfolk, not Anaheim.
On Thursday, the Ducks announced that Sbisa was headed to the AHL for a long-term injury conditioning loan. According to the NHL’s collective bargaining agreement, this type of conditioning loan allows players to go to the minors without clearing waivers, so long as said player doesn’t spend more than 14 days there.
Sbisa, 23, has missed all 13 games this season dealing with an ankle injury suffered during the preseason. The Swiss rearguard has been a regular fixture on the Ducks blueline over the last two seasons, appearing in 121 of 130 games while averaging nearly 20 minutes a night.
The former first-round pick (19th overall, 2008) injured his ankle during Anaheim’s exhibition opener against Phoenix. Sending him to Norfolk will get him a lot of games in a short period of time, as the Admirals play three games in a row on Friday (vs. Albany), Saturday (vs. Bridgeport) and Sunday (vs. Hershey).
- Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 0
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 4
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 21
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 19
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (171)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)