Oct 31, 2013, 5:15 PM EDT
Luca Sbisa‘s regular season debut will come with Norfolk, not Anaheim.
On Thursday, the Ducks announced that Sbisa was headed to the AHL for a long-term injury conditioning loan. According to the NHL’s collective bargaining agreement, this type of conditioning loan allows players to go to the minors without clearing waivers, so long as said player doesn’t spend more than 14 days there.
Sbisa, 23, has missed all 13 games this season dealing with an ankle injury suffered during the preseason. The Swiss rearguard has been a regular fixture on the Ducks blueline over the last two seasons, appearing in 121 of 130 games while averaging nearly 20 minutes a night.
The former first-round pick (19th overall, 2008) injured his ankle during Anaheim’s exhibition opener against Phoenix. Sending him to Norfolk will get him a lot of games in a short period of time, as the Admirals play three games in a row on Friday (vs. Albany), Saturday (vs. Bridgeport) and Sunday (vs. Hershey).
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 69
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 32
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (92)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (72)