Oct 31, 2013, 5:15 PM EDT
Luca Sbisa‘s regular season debut will come with Norfolk, not Anaheim.
On Thursday, the Ducks announced that Sbisa was headed to the AHL for a long-term injury conditioning loan. According to the NHL’s collective bargaining agreement, this type of conditioning loan allows players to go to the minors without clearing waivers, so long as said player doesn’t spend more than 14 days there.
Sbisa, 23, has missed all 13 games this season dealing with an ankle injury suffered during the preseason. The Swiss rearguard has been a regular fixture on the Ducks blueline over the last two seasons, appearing in 121 of 130 games while averaging nearly 20 minutes a night.
The former first-round pick (19th overall, 2008) injured his ankle during Anaheim’s exhibition opener against Phoenix. Sending him to Norfolk will get him a lot of games in a short period of time, as the Admirals play three games in a row on Friday (vs. Albany), Saturday (vs. Bridgeport) and Sunday (vs. Hershey).
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 29
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)