Oct 31, 2013, 5:07 PM EDT
San Jose forward Logan Couture wasn’t trying to disrespect the Panthers when he referenced playing in Florida after last night’s 4-3 overtime loss in Los Angeles.
Per the Mercury News, here’s Couture’s exact statement after the Sharks failed to win at the Staples Center for the 11th time in 12 tries: “We could have played in Florida tonight and probably lost that game, too.”
You can see why some Panthers fans may have taken issue with that, especially if they didn’t know about the Sharks’ struggles at the Staples Center.
Via Couture’s Twitter account today, here’s what he meant by his Florida remark:
“I was asked if playing in Staples Center had an effect on the way we played last night and the outcome. I answered no, that we (meaning the Kings and Sharks) could have played in Florida and it wouldn’t have mattered.
“Some reporters have chosen to try and twist those comments into a slam against the Florida Panthers. Couldn’t be further from the truth. We could have played in a building where we were undefeated and had the same result.
“All I was saying was we wouldn’t have beat the Kings anywhere. The arena (Staples Center) was not the issue.”
So there you go. No disrespect to the Panthers.
San Jose, by the way, plays in Sunrise on Jan. 16.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)