Oct 31, 2013, 5:07 PM EDT
San Jose forward Logan Couture wasn’t trying to disrespect the Panthers when he referenced playing in Florida after last night’s 4-3 overtime loss in Los Angeles.
Per the Mercury News, here’s Couture’s exact statement after the Sharks failed to win at the Staples Center for the 11th time in 12 tries: “We could have played in Florida tonight and probably lost that game, too.”
You can see why some Panthers fans may have taken issue with that, especially if they didn’t know about the Sharks’ struggles at the Staples Center.
Via Couture’s Twitter account today, here’s what he meant by his Florida remark:
“I was asked if playing in Staples Center had an effect on the way we played last night and the outcome. I answered no, that we (meaning the Kings and Sharks) could have played in Florida and it wouldn’t have mattered.
“Some reporters have chosen to try and twist those comments into a slam against the Florida Panthers. Couldn’t be further from the truth. We could have played in a building where we were undefeated and had the same result.
“All I was saying was we wouldn’t have beat the Kings anywhere. The arena (Staples Center) was not the issue.”
So there you go. No disrespect to the Panthers.
San Jose, by the way, plays in Sunrise on Jan. 16.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 36
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)