Oct 31, 2013, 5:07 PM EST
San Jose forward Logan Couture wasn’t trying to disrespect the Panthers when he referenced playing in Florida after last night’s 4-3 overtime loss in Los Angeles.
Per the Mercury News, here’s Couture’s exact statement after the Sharks failed to win at the Staples Center for the 11th time in 12 tries: “We could have played in Florida tonight and probably lost that game, too.”
You can see why some Panthers fans may have taken issue with that, especially if they didn’t know about the Sharks’ struggles at the Staples Center.
Via Couture’s Twitter account today, here’s what he meant by his Florida remark:
“I was asked if playing in Staples Center had an effect on the way we played last night and the outcome. I answered no, that we (meaning the Kings and Sharks) could have played in Florida and it wouldn’t have mattered.
“Some reporters have chosen to try and twist those comments into a slam against the Florida Panthers. Couldn’t be further from the truth. We could have played in a building where we were undefeated and had the same result.
“All I was saying was we wouldn’t have beat the Kings anywhere. The arena (Staples Center) was not the issue.”
So there you go. No disrespect to the Panthers.
San Jose, by the way, plays in Sunrise on Jan. 16.
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 21
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- The Atlantic Division race is going to be fascinating 20
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 22
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 11
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 6
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 45
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 9