Oct 31, 2013, 5:07 PM EDT
San Jose forward Logan Couture wasn’t trying to disrespect the Panthers when he referenced playing in Florida after last night’s 4-3 overtime loss in Los Angeles.
Per the Mercury News, here’s Couture’s exact statement after the Sharks failed to win at the Staples Center for the 11th time in 12 tries: “We could have played in Florida tonight and probably lost that game, too.”
You can see why some Panthers fans may have taken issue with that, especially if they didn’t know about the Sharks’ struggles at the Staples Center.
Via Couture’s Twitter account today, here’s what he meant by his Florida remark:
“I was asked if playing in Staples Center had an effect on the way we played last night and the outcome. I answered no, that we (meaning the Kings and Sharks) could have played in Florida and it wouldn’t have mattered.
“Some reporters have chosen to try and twist those comments into a slam against the Florida Panthers. Couldn’t be further from the truth. We could have played in a building where we were undefeated and had the same result.
“All I was saying was we wouldn’t have beat the Kings anywhere. The arena (Staples Center) was not the issue.”
So there you go. No disrespect to the Panthers.
San Jose, by the way, plays in Sunrise on Jan. 16.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 70
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5