Oct 31, 2013, 5:07 PM EST
San Jose forward Logan Couture wasn’t trying to disrespect the Panthers when he referenced playing in Florida after last night’s 4-3 overtime loss in Los Angeles.
Per the Mercury News, here’s Couture’s exact statement after the Sharks failed to win at the Staples Center for the 11th time in 12 tries: “We could have played in Florida tonight and probably lost that game, too.”
You can see why some Panthers fans may have taken issue with that, especially if they didn’t know about the Sharks’ struggles at the Staples Center.
Via Couture’s Twitter account today, here’s what he meant by his Florida remark:
“I was asked if playing in Staples Center had an effect on the way we played last night and the outcome. I answered no, that we (meaning the Kings and Sharks) could have played in Florida and it wouldn’t have mattered.
“Some reporters have chosen to try and twist those comments into a slam against the Florida Panthers. Couldn’t be further from the truth. We could have played in a building where we were undefeated and had the same result.
“All I was saying was we wouldn’t have beat the Kings anywhere. The arena (Staples Center) was not the issue.”
So there you go. No disrespect to the Panthers.
San Jose, by the way, plays in Sunrise on Jan. 16.
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 11
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 3
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 13
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 9
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4