Oct 31, 2013, 9:59 PM EST
One shot in the opening period – it’s been a while since that’s happened, as per Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com – was an indication that perhaps it wasn’t going to be their night.
But the Boston Bruins eventually overcame a sluggish first-period start and got a late game-tying power play goal from captain Zdeno Chara to eventually defeat the Anaheim Ducks 3-2 in a shootout Thursday night.
Their victory comes one night after the Boston Red Sox clinched the World Series. In a fitting tribute, the Bruins wore World Series Championship hats for warm-ups prior to puck drop.
The tying goal came with 2:50 remaining in the third period, as Chara planted himself in front of the net. He took a pass on a goal-mouth scramble from David Krejci and buried the puck past Jonas Hiller.
The win did come at a price. Bruins defenseman Johnny Boychuk left the game early in the second period and did not return, as per the team’s Twitter account. Boychuk’s condition will be updated on Friday, reports Amalie Benjamin of the Boston Globe.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)