Oct 31, 2013, 9:59 PM EDT
One shot in the opening period – it’s been a while since that’s happened, as per Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com – was an indication that perhaps it wasn’t going to be their night.
But the Boston Bruins eventually overcame a sluggish first-period start and got a late game-tying power play goal from captain Zdeno Chara to eventually defeat the Anaheim Ducks 3-2 in a shootout Thursday night.
Their victory comes one night after the Boston Red Sox clinched the World Series. In a fitting tribute, the Bruins wore World Series Championship hats for warm-ups prior to puck drop.
The tying goal came with 2:50 remaining in the third period, as Chara planted himself in front of the net. He took a pass on a goal-mouth scramble from David Krejci and buried the puck past Jonas Hiller.
The win did come at a price. Bruins defenseman Johnny Boychuk left the game early in the second period and did not return, as per the team’s Twitter account. Boychuk’s condition will be updated on Friday, reports Amalie Benjamin of the Boston Globe.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 2
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 12
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 53
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 19
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 16
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)