Oct 31, 2013, 9:59 PM EST
One shot in the opening period – it’s been a while since that’s happened, as per Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com – was an indication that perhaps it wasn’t going to be their night.
But the Boston Bruins eventually overcame a sluggish first-period start and got a late game-tying power play goal from captain Zdeno Chara to eventually defeat the Anaheim Ducks 3-2 in a shootout Thursday night.
Their victory comes one night after the Boston Red Sox clinched the World Series. In a fitting tribute, the Bruins wore World Series Championship hats for warm-ups prior to puck drop.
The tying goal came with 2:50 remaining in the third period, as Chara planted himself in front of the net. He took a pass on a goal-mouth scramble from David Krejci and buried the puck past Jonas Hiller.
The win did come at a price. Bruins defenseman Johnny Boychuk left the game early in the second period and did not return, as per the team’s Twitter account. Boychuk’s condition will be updated on Friday, reports Amalie Benjamin of the Boston Globe.
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 4
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 1
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 21
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 2
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)