Oct 30, 2013, 1:13 AM EDT
The Thomas Vanek Era with the New York Islanders began on the ice Tuesday, but did not yield results.
Vanek, who the Islanders acquired Sunday from the Buffalo Sabres in exchange for Matt Moulson, a first-round pick in the 2014 NHL Draft and a second-round pick in 2015, did not register a point in his Islanders debut, while playing on a line with John Tavares and Kyle Okposo.
The Islanders gave up a pair of third period goals and lost to their rivals, the New York Rangers, by a final of 3-2.
“The atmosphere was great – I haven’t been in a game like that for a long time,” Vanek told News Day Long Island. “Our line was OK. We’re still trying to feel our way a little bit.
“I need to see some video to see John’s tendencies, Kyle’s too … For the first game, it was a tremendous effort.”
On the other side, Rangers forward Carl Hagelin made his season debut after missing the first 10 games following off-season shoulder surgery. He set up Benoit Pouliot‘s winning goal late in the third period.
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 0
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 12
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 70
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 65
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)