Oct 30, 2013, 1:13 AM EDT
The Thomas Vanek Era with the New York Islanders began on the ice Tuesday, but did not yield results.
Vanek, who the Islanders acquired Sunday from the Buffalo Sabres in exchange for Matt Moulson, a first-round pick in the 2014 NHL Draft and a second-round pick in 2015, did not register a point in his Islanders debut, while playing on a line with John Tavares and Kyle Okposo.
The Islanders gave up a pair of third period goals and lost to their rivals, the New York Rangers, by a final of 3-2.
“The atmosphere was great – I haven’t been in a game like that for a long time,” Vanek told News Day Long Island. “Our line was OK. We’re still trying to feel our way a little bit.
“I need to see some video to see John’s tendencies, Kyle’s too … For the first game, it was a tremendous effort.”
On the other side, Rangers forward Carl Hagelin made his season debut after missing the first 10 games following off-season shoulder surgery. He set up Benoit Pouliot‘s winning goal late in the third period.
- NHL on NBC: Penguins and Flyers resume rivalry as playoff race continues 0
- Discuss: Habs overcome three-goal deficit, beat Senators in overtime 13
- Canucks ready to face Luongo on Sunday 2
- West update: Stars blow lead yet still improve hold on wild card spot 4
- East update: Red Wings eke out shootout win for key points 0
- Luongo continues to foil Schneider as Panthers damage Devils’ playoff hopes 3
- TGIF: In which we salivate over potential playoff matchups 10
- Backstrom to receive silver medal, IOC says Sweden doctor ‘made a serious error’ 29
- Pens lose Neal to concussion 61
- Here are the top 10 and bottom 10 goalies in even-strength save percentage 22
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Pens lose Neal to concussion (61)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)