Oct 30, 2013, 1:13 AM EDT
The Thomas Vanek Era with the New York Islanders began on the ice Tuesday, but did not yield results.
Vanek, who the Islanders acquired Sunday from the Buffalo Sabres in exchange for Matt Moulson, a first-round pick in the 2014 NHL Draft and a second-round pick in 2015, did not register a point in his Islanders debut, while playing on a line with John Tavares and Kyle Okposo.
The Islanders gave up a pair of third period goals and lost to their rivals, the New York Rangers, by a final of 3-2.
“The atmosphere was great – I haven’t been in a game like that for a long time,” Vanek told News Day Long Island. “Our line was OK. We’re still trying to feel our way a little bit.
“I need to see some video to see John’s tendencies, Kyle’s too … For the first game, it was a tremendous effort.”
On the other side, Rangers forward Carl Hagelin made his season debut after missing the first 10 games following off-season shoulder surgery. He set up Benoit Pouliot‘s winning goal late in the third period.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)