Oct 30, 2013, 1:13 AM EDT
The Thomas Vanek Era with the New York Islanders began on the ice Tuesday, but did not yield results.
Vanek, who the Islanders acquired Sunday from the Buffalo Sabres in exchange for Matt Moulson, a first-round pick in the 2014 NHL Draft and a second-round pick in 2015, did not register a point in his Islanders debut, while playing on a line with John Tavares and Kyle Okposo.
The Islanders gave up a pair of third period goals and lost to their rivals, the New York Rangers, by a final of 3-2.
“The atmosphere was great – I haven’t been in a game like that for a long time,” Vanek told News Day Long Island. “Our line was OK. We’re still trying to feel our way a little bit.
“I need to see some video to see John’s tendencies, Kyle’s too … For the first game, it was a tremendous effort.”
On the other side, Rangers forward Carl Hagelin made his season debut after missing the first 10 games following off-season shoulder surgery. He set up Benoit Pouliot‘s winning goal late in the third period.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 33
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)