Oct 30, 2013, 12:46 PM EDT
Selanne, 43, took the high stick during his first shift of the third period, and didn’t return to the game:
The Ducks said Selanne required 40 stitches to fix his mouth and lost “several” teeth in the process. He’s been sent home from the club’s season-long road trip and back to Anaheim, where he’ll undergo oral surgery.
This means Selanne, who is in the final year of his illustrious career, will miss farewell tour stops in Boston, Buffalo and at Madison Square Garden. Following the game at MSG, the Ducks return home for a three-game set before heading back out onto the road on Nov. 12, at which time Selanne could rejoin the club for games in Florida, Tampa Bay and Carolina.
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 5
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 9
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2