Oct 30, 2013, 12:46 PM EDT
Selanne, 43, took the high stick during his first shift of the third period, and didn’t return to the game:
The Ducks said Selanne required 40 stitches to fix his mouth and lost “several” teeth in the process. He’s been sent home from the club’s season-long road trip and back to Anaheim, where he’ll undergo oral surgery.
This means Selanne, who is in the final year of his illustrious career, will miss farewell tour stops in Boston, Buffalo and at Madison Square Garden. Following the game at MSG, the Ducks return home for a three-game set before heading back out onto the road on Nov. 12, at which time Selanne could rejoin the club for games in Florida, Tampa Bay and Carolina.
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 0
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 13
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 31
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 44
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 50
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 33
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 28
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 53
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10