Oct 30, 2013, 4:41 PM EST
Enstrom has turned down a spot on the club, according to head coach Par Marts. The 28-year-old Jets blueliner did so despite being one of the top scoring Swedish defensemen in the NHL (seven points thus far, trailing only Erik Karlsson and Oilver Ekman-Larsson) — which makes one wonder if his exclusion from Sweden’s Olympic camp played a role.
There were only 13 defenseman invited to August camp, including Douglas Murray (who was an unattached free agent at the time) and Erik Gustafsson (who has yet to establish himself as a full-time NHLer with Philadelphia).
Enstrom was, however, reportedly invited to the camp after the initial snub.
Marts said he’s visited with Enstrom twice in Winnipeg and was surprised to learn of his decision to skip the Olympics. Enstrom cited his desire to focus fully on his duties with the Jets as the primary reason for balking.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 7
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 4
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 9
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)