Oct 30, 2013, 4:41 PM EDT
Enstrom has turned down a spot on the club, according to head coach Par Marts. The 28-year-old Jets blueliner did so despite being one of the top scoring Swedish defensemen in the NHL (seven points thus far, trailing only Erik Karlsson and Oilver Ekman-Larsson) — which makes one wonder if his exclusion from Sweden’s Olympic camp played a role.
There were only 13 defenseman invited to August camp, including Douglas Murray (who was an unattached free agent at the time) and Erik Gustafsson (who has yet to establish himself as a full-time NHLer with Philadelphia).
Enstrom was, however, reportedly invited to the camp after the initial snub.
Marts said he’s visited with Enstrom twice in Winnipeg and was surprised to learn of his decision to skip the Olympics. Enstrom cited his desire to focus fully on his duties with the Jets as the primary reason for balking.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 19
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 9
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 40
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)