Oct 30, 2013, 7:34 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks will be without Teemu Selanne for a while, but that opens the door for others to get better opportunities (and prepare for the future?). It also helps that Dustin Penner appears ready to get back to action in Thursday’s road game against the Boston Bruins after suffering what seemed to be a concussion thanks to an Oct. 20 Ryan Garbutt hit.
Penner, 31, was starting to get some time on the first line with Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf before getting hurt. If he returns to that position, one may assume that Patrick Maroon will go down to Palmieri’s old spot on the third line.
However that works out, the Ducks are likely glad to have Penner’s big body back. They have three games remaining on a seven-game road trip that went from bad (two loses to start) to promising (they’re currently on a three-game winning streak).
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 9
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 15
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 31
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 44
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 28
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 45
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)