Oct 30, 2013, 8:59 PM EST
In an ideal world, the Florida Panthers would have the present (Tim Thomas) and future (Jacob Markstrom) covered in net. In reality, Thomas is injured and Markstrom’s playing like a guy who isn’t ready for the NHL.
When asked by the Miami Herald if he was “happy” with Markstrom’s work as of late, Panthers head coach Kevin Dineen wasn’t exactly emphatically in his young netminder’s corner.
“Well,” Dineen paused for a few seconds. “It’s always easy to sit there over the last couple of days. I go back to what I said. I have healthy bodies out of the lineup and it’s easy to always be explaining why and to lean toward the negative. At the end of it, we need a win versus St. Louis and goaltending is a big part of that.
“I’ve seen Jake go out and win us a hockey game and the two points versus St. Louis, he will have to be a big part of that if I decide to go that way. [Scott Clemmensen] is always an option.”
Not exactly an A+ on the report card, there.
One cannot blame Dineen considering Markstrom’s numbers, which are bad both team-wise (1-4-2 record) and individually (.887 save percentage and 3.19 GAA). It’s hard to imagine the St. Louis Blues making life a whole lot easier for the big Swede, either.
It wouldn’t be shocking to see Markstrom sent back to the AHL – the first year of his current deal would allow it – as it seems like now isn’t the right time for Markstrom. Much like with Winnipeg and Ondrej Pavelec, Florida’s brass must be getting at least a bit nervous about a guy who’s supposed to be the goalie of the future.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 24
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 54
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 40
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)