Oct 30, 2013, 12:11 PM EST
After losing for the ninth time in 14 games last night, the Oilers decided to shake things up.
On Tuesday, the club announced it had put veteran defensemen Denis Grebeshkov and Corey Potter on waivers. Grebeshkov, 30, had appeared in three games for the Oilers this season, his first back in Edmonton after spending the last three years in the KHL.
Potter, 29, hadn’t played this season as he’d been on injured reserve with a strained back. He did appear in 33 games last season, scoring four points while averaging over 17 minutes per night.
What’s curious is that Grebeshkov actually played in Tuesday night’s 4-0 loss to Toronto, logging 11:35 TOI while finishing a minus-1 with one blocked shot. Hardly a terrible performance, though he did play the least of the seven defensemen Edmonton dressed.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)