Oct 30, 2013, 3:19 PM EDT
Cam Neely and Bobby Farrelly, together again… with Mike Richter in the mix as well.
That’s what you’ll see during tonight’s NBCSN Rivalry Night broadcast between Boston and Pittsburgh, as the first of three Thanksgiving Showdown commercials — starring Neely, Richter and directed by Farrelly, he of “Dumb and Dumber” fame — will go to air.
“I’m a hockey nut. So when the NHL and NBC approached me to direct the commercial and said it would feature Cam Neely and Mike Richter, I was flattered,” said Farrelly. “It was a pleasure to work with two hockey greats to promote a game featuring two legendary teams, including my beloved Bruins.”
This year’s Thanksgiving Showdown goes on Friday, Nov. 29 at 1 p.m. ET with a playoff rematch between Boston and New York. The lead-up ads feature family relatives from Boston and New York carrying their personal Bruins-Rangers rivalry to Thanksgiving dinner, with Neely and Richter trying to intervene.
“We were just throwing barbs at each other – things you say to any one of your friends,” Richter told Variety. “It wasn’t hard to quickly come up with spirited comments about Boston and, for sure, Cam Neely had plenty to say about New York.”
If you aren’t able to catch tonight’s promo, don’t worry. Three 30-second TV spots, two 15-second commercials and a two-minute extended version will run across the broadcast, digital and social media platforms of the NHL, NHL Network, and NBC Sports Group.
The NHL has tweeted out a few images for your perusal:
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 2
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 19
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 15
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)