Oct 30, 2013, 3:19 PM EDT
Cam Neely and Bobby Farrelly, together again… with Mike Richter in the mix as well.
That’s what you’ll see during tonight’s NBCSN Rivalry Night broadcast between Boston and Pittsburgh, as the first of three Thanksgiving Showdown commercials — starring Neely, Richter and directed by Farrelly, he of “Dumb and Dumber” fame — will go to air.
“I’m a hockey nut. So when the NHL and NBC approached me to direct the commercial and said it would feature Cam Neely and Mike Richter, I was flattered,” said Farrelly. “It was a pleasure to work with two hockey greats to promote a game featuring two legendary teams, including my beloved Bruins.”
This year’s Thanksgiving Showdown goes on Friday, Nov. 29 at 1 p.m. ET with a playoff rematch between Boston and New York. The lead-up ads feature family relatives from Boston and New York carrying their personal Bruins-Rangers rivalry to Thanksgiving dinner, with Neely and Richter trying to intervene.
“We were just throwing barbs at each other – things you say to any one of your friends,” Richter told Variety. “It wasn’t hard to quickly come up with spirited comments about Boston and, for sure, Cam Neely had plenty to say about New York.”
If you aren’t able to catch tonight’s promo, don’t worry. Three 30-second TV spots, two 15-second commercials and a two-minute extended version will run across the broadcast, digital and social media platforms of the NHL, NHL Network, and NBC Sports Group.
The NHL has tweeted out a few images for your perusal:
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)