Oct 30, 2013, 3:19 PM EDT
Cam Neely and Bobby Farrelly, together again… with Mike Richter in the mix as well.
That’s what you’ll see during tonight’s NBCSN Rivalry Night broadcast between Boston and Pittsburgh, as the first of three Thanksgiving Showdown commercials — starring Neely, Richter and directed by Farrelly, he of “Dumb and Dumber” fame — will go to air.
“I’m a hockey nut. So when the NHL and NBC approached me to direct the commercial and said it would feature Cam Neely and Mike Richter, I was flattered,” said Farrelly. “It was a pleasure to work with two hockey greats to promote a game featuring two legendary teams, including my beloved Bruins.”
This year’s Thanksgiving Showdown goes on Friday, Nov. 29 at 1 p.m. ET with a playoff rematch between Boston and New York. The lead-up ads feature family relatives from Boston and New York carrying their personal Bruins-Rangers rivalry to Thanksgiving dinner, with Neely and Richter trying to intervene.
“We were just throwing barbs at each other – things you say to any one of your friends,” Richter told Variety. “It wasn’t hard to quickly come up with spirited comments about Boston and, for sure, Cam Neely had plenty to say about New York.”
If you aren’t able to catch tonight’s promo, don’t worry. Three 30-second TV spots, two 15-second commercials and a two-minute extended version will run across the broadcast, digital and social media platforms of the NHL, NHL Network, and NBC Sports Group.
The NHL has tweeted out a few images for your perusal:
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)