Oct 30, 2013, 3:19 PM EDT
Cam Neely and Bobby Farrelly, together again… with Mike Richter in the mix as well.
That’s what you’ll see during tonight’s NBCSN Rivalry Night broadcast between Boston and Pittsburgh, as the first of three Thanksgiving Showdown commercials — starring Neely, Richter and directed by Farrelly, he of “Dumb and Dumber” fame — will go to air.
“I’m a hockey nut. So when the NHL and NBC approached me to direct the commercial and said it would feature Cam Neely and Mike Richter, I was flattered,” said Farrelly. “It was a pleasure to work with two hockey greats to promote a game featuring two legendary teams, including my beloved Bruins.”
This year’s Thanksgiving Showdown goes on Friday, Nov. 29 at 1 p.m. ET with a playoff rematch between Boston and New York. The lead-up ads feature family relatives from Boston and New York carrying their personal Bruins-Rangers rivalry to Thanksgiving dinner, with Neely and Richter trying to intervene.
“We were just throwing barbs at each other – things you say to any one of your friends,” Richter told Variety. “It wasn’t hard to quickly come up with spirited comments about Boston and, for sure, Cam Neely had plenty to say about New York.”
If you aren’t able to catch tonight’s promo, don’t worry. Three 30-second TV spots, two 15-second commercials and a two-minute extended version will run across the broadcast, digital and social media platforms of the NHL, NHL Network, and NBC Sports Group.
The NHL has tweeted out a few images for your perusal:
- Bobby Ryan agrees to seven-year, $50.75 million extension 0
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 37
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 10
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (37)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)