Oct 30, 2013, 11:12 PM EST
As Jason Brough noted earlier today, the Toronto Maple Leafs have defied stats expectations by winning more often than not despite frequently being out-shot by opponents. Wednesday was a glaring example, as the Leafs beat the Flames 4-2 despite Calgary nearly doubling them up in that category.
The Flames fired 43 shots on goal to Toronto’s 22. In fact, the Flames almost had as many shots on goal in the second period (20) as the Buds had in the entire contest.
Goaltending and quality shooting – or puck luck, depending upon how you see it – keep going the Leafs’ way. Jonathan Bernier held serve after James Reimer‘s shutout while Joffrey Lupul, Mason Raymond and James van Riemsdyk scored for Toronto (Paul Ranger got an empty-netter, too).
The Maple Leafs keep chugging along, drawing the line deeper in the sand between believers and those who expect Toronto to regress (while stats-inclined Leafs fans might feel conflicted).
With an Eastern Conference-leading 20 points (10-4-0 in 14 games played), Toronto has a nice head start, so perhaps a playoff berth may be in the cards even if they come back down to Earth.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 7
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)