Oct 30, 2013, 11:12 PM EDT
As Jason Brough noted earlier today, the Toronto Maple Leafs have defied stats expectations by winning more often than not despite frequently being out-shot by opponents. Wednesday was a glaring example, as the Leafs beat the Flames 4-2 despite Calgary nearly doubling them up in that category.
The Flames fired 43 shots on goal to Toronto’s 22. In fact, the Flames almost had as many shots on goal in the second period (20) as the Buds had in the entire contest.
Goaltending and quality shooting – or puck luck, depending upon how you see it – keep going the Leafs’ way. Jonathan Bernier held serve after James Reimer‘s shutout while Joffrey Lupul, Mason Raymond and James van Riemsdyk scored for Toronto (Paul Ranger got an empty-netter, too).
The Maple Leafs keep chugging along, drawing the line deeper in the sand between believers and those who expect Toronto to regress (while stats-inclined Leafs fans might feel conflicted).
With an Eastern Conference-leading 20 points (10-4-0 in 14 games played), Toronto has a nice head start, so perhaps a playoff berth may be in the cards even if they come back down to Earth.
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 17
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 61
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 8
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 23
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 31
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 60
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 34
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 21
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 94
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 104
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)