Oct 30, 2013, 3:25 PM EDT
Havlat, 32, underwent major groin surgery (bilateral pelvic reconstruction) in late June to correct an injury suffered during San Jose’s opening-round playoffs series against Vancouver. Havlat tried to return for the second round against L.A., but lasted just a few minutes in his first game back and didn’t play again.
A skilled winger that put up 27 points in 39 games in 2011-12, Havlat’s biggest issue throughout the last two years has been staying healthy.
He’s missed 51 of a possible 130 games over the last two regular seasons, and his inability to stay in the lineup sparked talks of a possible trade or buyout (the latter of which he was ineligible for this summer, as he was injured at the time.)
Havlat has two seasons remaining on his six-year, $30 million deal, one that carries an average annual cap hit of $6 million.
While Havlat is in, San Jose’s three other injured players — Dan Boyle, Brent Burns and Matt Nieto — will be out tonight against the Kings. It’s possible Havlat will take Nieto’s spot on the third line with Joe Pavelski and Tommy Wingels, while James Sheppard continues to fill in for Burns on the top line with Joe Thornton and Tomas Hertl.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)