Oct 30, 2013, 3:25 PM EDT
Havlat, 32, underwent major groin surgery (bilateral pelvic reconstruction) in late June to correct an injury suffered during San Jose’s opening-round playoffs series against Vancouver. Havlat tried to return for the second round against L.A., but lasted just a few minutes in his first game back and didn’t play again.
A skilled winger that put up 27 points in 39 games in 2011-12, Havlat’s biggest issue throughout the last two years has been staying healthy.
He’s missed 51 of a possible 130 games over the last two regular seasons, and his inability to stay in the lineup sparked talks of a possible trade or buyout (the latter of which he was ineligible for this summer, as he was injured at the time.)
Havlat has two seasons remaining on his six-year, $30 million deal, one that carries an average annual cap hit of $6 million.
While Havlat is in, San Jose’s three other injured players — Dan Boyle, Brent Burns and Matt Nieto — will be out tonight against the Kings. It’s possible Havlat will take Nieto’s spot on the third line with Joe Pavelski and Tommy Wingels, while James Sheppard continues to fill in for Burns on the top line with Joe Thornton and Tomas Hertl.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 46
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Report: BOG to vote on Vegas expansion in September 1
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (102)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)