Oct 30, 2013, 5:20 PM EDT
Some news and notes from the blue paint…
Leafs go back to Bernier
How things can change in a week.
Bernier needs a strong effort to match James Reimer, who has been outstanding of late. Reimer stopped 37 of 38 shots in Saturday’s 4-1 win over Pittsburgh, then followed that up with a 43-save shutout against Edmonton on Tuesday.
Bernier’s last game was a 5-2 loss to Columbus on Oct. 25, in which he allowed four goals on 35 shots.
Niemi keeps on rolling
Antti Niemi will get the call — again — for San Jose tonight for its big inter-state rivalry game against Los Angeles.
Niemi has been a workhorse since signing with the Sharks three years ago, and that doesn’t seem to be changing. He’ll move into a share of the league lead with his 12th start tonight (Phoenix’s Mike Smith and Winnipeg’s Ondrej Pavelec also have 12), and look to improve on his pretty stellar numbers: 9-1-1. 1.53 GAA, .933 save percentage.
— After beating the Capitals on Saturday, Karri Ramo will get the nod for Calgary tonight against Toronto.
— Tuukka Rask will be in goal for Boston against Pittsburgh tonight after allowing four goals for the first time all season in Saturday’s 4-3 loss to New Jersey.
- WATCH LIVE: Kings at Blackhawks 0
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 1
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7