Oct 30, 2013, 5:20 PM EST
Some news and notes from the blue paint…
Leafs go back to Bernier
How things can change in a week.
Bernier needs a strong effort to match James Reimer, who has been outstanding of late. Reimer stopped 37 of 38 shots in Saturday’s 4-1 win over Pittsburgh, then followed that up with a 43-save shutout against Edmonton on Tuesday.
Bernier’s last game was a 5-2 loss to Columbus on Oct. 25, in which he allowed four goals on 35 shots.
Niemi keeps on rolling
Antti Niemi will get the call — again — for San Jose tonight for its big inter-state rivalry game against Los Angeles.
Niemi has been a workhorse since signing with the Sharks three years ago, and that doesn’t seem to be changing. He’ll move into a share of the league lead with his 12th start tonight (Phoenix’s Mike Smith and Winnipeg’s Ondrej Pavelec also have 12), and look to improve on his pretty stellar numbers: 9-1-1. 1.53 GAA, .933 save percentage.
– After beating the Capitals on Saturday, Karri Ramo will get the nod for Calgary tonight against Toronto.
– Tuukka Rask will be in goal for Boston against Pittsburgh tonight after allowing four goals for the first time all season in Saturday’s 4-3 loss to New Jersey.
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 8
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 75
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2