Oct 30, 2013, 5:20 PM EDT
Some news and notes from the blue paint…
Leafs go back to Bernier
How things can change in a week.
Bernier needs a strong effort to match James Reimer, who has been outstanding of late. Reimer stopped 37 of 38 shots in Saturday’s 4-1 win over Pittsburgh, then followed that up with a 43-save shutout against Edmonton on Tuesday.
Bernier’s last game was a 5-2 loss to Columbus on Oct. 25, in which he allowed four goals on 35 shots.
Niemi keeps on rolling
Antti Niemi will get the call — again — for San Jose tonight for its big inter-state rivalry game against Los Angeles.
Niemi has been a workhorse since signing with the Sharks three years ago, and that doesn’t seem to be changing. He’ll move into a share of the league lead with his 12th start tonight (Phoenix’s Mike Smith and Winnipeg’s Ondrej Pavelec also have 12), and look to improve on his pretty stellar numbers: 9-1-1. 1.53 GAA, .933 save percentage.
— After beating the Capitals on Saturday, Karri Ramo will get the nod for Calgary tonight against Toronto.
— Tuukka Rask will be in goal for Boston against Pittsburgh tonight after allowing four goals for the first time all season in Saturday’s 4-3 loss to New Jersey.
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 8
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 35
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 5
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)